So it's my turn to cut the cord

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 2010mini, May 12, 2016.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Well I need to cut down my spending and I am looking into cutting out my Pay TV bill. My ISP/TV provider is Verizon Fios, and they will not give me an Internet only package. I took the lowest triple package they had with a contract. Doing so, they said I have 30 days to completely cancel without penalty. Luckily I have a competing Broadband company in my area: Optimum. It is my hope to cancel Verizon and get Internet only from Optimum.

I already have and Apple TV and looking into SiliconDust Homerun HD to pair with Channels App. I can authenticate HBO, SHO and all other premium channels through a friend of mine. As well as Hulu, Amazon and Netflix.

For those that had triple service from your ISP.... How did you handle getting back a regular landline? Did you opt for a service like Magic Jack or Vonage? I ask because it seems copper landlines are more expensive than Voip.

thanks.

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I had Verizon FIOS before move to Frontier. I had cancelled my Phone Service from them after my 2 years was up. And pretty sure I could have cancelled my TV if I wanted.

Anyway, for my Phone Service (wanted FAX) I bought a OOMA and pay $4.64 per month in California. I could also upgrade to a $10 per month premium but I do not need it.

I got the one with the Handset but seldom use it. My wife wanted the Handset. Could have also transferred my phone number for a cost but decided to let it go.

http://www.amazon.com/Ooma-Telo-Pho...7?ie=UTF8&qid=1463072399&sr=8-7&keywords=ooma

3. chipfiev macrumors member

+1 for Ooma. I switched from AT&T U-verse Voice and haven't missed a thing. I subscribed to their premium product right off the bat ($99/yr); that included number porting so we were up and running quickly and no one was the wiser.

We went premium for the blacklisting features and app support.

I would absolutely recommend Ooma for anyone looking to keep a phone number and save some $$$.

4. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks. I look into it.

5. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

I originally went with magic jack, but that didn't last long as it gave me many issues. You'll find issues like that about magic jack all over the net from other people. Magic jack customer service is nonexistent except for a few people who are on their forum from time to time. I then switched to NetTalk and so far I have had no problems with it at all. Sound quality is as good or better than a traditional land line. I bought the WiFi model and I'm very pleased with it so far. It does not need a computer to run. It comes with one year of service and then after that it's around 25.00 a year to renew.

6. rluvbeach macrumors member

I also use net talk, have had it for four years now, no problem with the device.

I was able to plug the line out into one of my old land line outlets and back fed the connection to my phones thru out the house. been working great.

You can also transfer your existing number to your account.

7. jdag macrumors 6502a

I switched over to Ooma about 4 years ago, and have not had any issues at all (knock on wood).

The initial cost of the Ooma box, plus number transfer, was ~$180. Any my monthly cost (tax only) is ~$4.20. My old local tel bill was ~$32/mo.

So over 4 years, I've spent ~$180 in hardware and ~$200 in taxes, so about ~$380. I would have spent ~$1,536 with my local provider, so the savings makes it s no brainer. Just do it.

8. archer75 macrumors 65816

I used voice pulse back when I had VoIP. It worked very well. Then it was only $15/month.

9. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Stupid question probably.... But All these voip services work with Faxes right? That's really the only thing I use my landline for.

10. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Not a stupid question at all. You need a regular DIAL TONE for FAX. Skype is VOIP but NO DIAL TONE. Really important to verify you are getting FAX Compatible Dial Tone. The OOMA is a small box that connects to my router via Ethernet and the other is RJ11 Jack for Dial Tone. I use a two way splitter to connect my FAX and also as a backup for my security system.

11. archer75 macrumors 65816

When I had voicepulse I would plug the box into the router and then a phone line into the phone jack in the wall and it sent a signal to all the phone jacks in my house. Each had a dial tone so it should work with a fax.

12. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Ok, so do I get the VoIP service and port my number before I cancel my Fios contract? Or can I do it after I cancel the contract?

13. jdag macrumors 6502a

Get the new service 1st, then cancel (at least that's what I did with Ooma). If you cancel Fios contract first you will (likely) lose your number).

14. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Yes, you always want a secure and complete transition of phone number to new provider before quitting the old one. Else, you run great risk of losing the number. Personally, I wish numbers could be owned separately of underlying phone service to make this more secure and to make it easy & seamless to hop from one to to another. Email addresses can be like that (separate from broadband service provider) why can't phone numbers?

15. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Do not cancel FIOS until you setup the new service. I think the cost to move the number is $35. In my case I was getting a lot of sales calls on my old number and really wanted friends/family to use our cell phones so I did not want to move the old number. Also, I am pretty sure you could test with the FREE Number you "pick" and make sure all is good before you move your old number but I did not do that so not sure.

16. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I've got some hardware/software to pick up before I cut the bundle.

HD Antenna
    HD homerun
    Channels app
    VoIP hardware
    Another ATV 4

This change will affect the wife mostly. She is used to the DVR for time shifting her shows and pausing live tv. The kids and I rarely watched live TV so this won't affect us. At least we have Hulu no ads for the wife to use as a DVR. I do hope the Channels team get their DVR up and running soon.

17. rluvbeach macrumors member

18. jdag macrumors 6502a

I use Table for OTA reception and DVR, but in a very limited fashion. It is fine, does the job. But the interface is relatively slow. I am very anxious for their AppleTV app, which has been "promised" for this Spring.

I know d21mike uses the HDHomeRun device with the Channels app, and he's commented several times that he's very happy with it. Based on videos I've seen, that interface is much better than Tablo's current UI (which relative to Apple devices is either iPad/iPhone and AirPlay over to AppleTV or using it via Plex on the AppleTV).

Once Channels app has DVR functionality, that could very well leapfrog Tablo.

19. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

OP, did Verizon give you a reason that they would not give you a internet only package? As much as I loathe Comcast, when I called to get rid of cable and "downgrade" to internet only, the phone rep didn't give me much trouble (mainly because I told them that my fiancée and I travel for work a lot and don't watch a lot of TV).

20. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Since I was still under contract, I had to keep a triple package or pay penalty. But when I took a new agreement it automatically gave me 30 days to terminate without cancellation fees.

21. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

another question...

For those that ordered cable broadband. were you able to forgo "renting" the modem/router and telling them you would purchase your own? Or did you have to take their modem/router, THEN purchase your own and returning the one they gave you?

It is my goal to no longer "rent" equipment.

thanks.

22. archer75 macrumors 65816

I switched to my own modem after having there's. However I don't see why you can't setup your own from the start. From what I call they setup yours or theirs the same way.

I'm on fios now and they don't charge me a lease fee for their modem.

23. jdag macrumors 6502a

Be explicit with your provider on what you want to do. They have some crazy bundles that can get confusing and effectively lock you into using their equipment.

For instance, my mother-in-law uses Time Warner Cable for TV, internet, and phone (although she doesn't actually use the VOIP phone service). It is approximately $100/mo, and includes a combined modem/router unit.

I bought her a cable modem and router for Christmas, with the thought/expectation that she'd return the modem/router to Time Warner and use her owned setup. When calling to make the transition to the new modem, Time Warner informed her that her bill would be going UP by approximately $20/mo. By not using the TW equipment, she no longer qualified for some bundle, and the unbundled cost of TV and internet alone was MORE than TV/Internet/Phone/Modem/Router.

Ridiculous, I know. And to top it off, the router she is stuck with (until this promo ends at least) is horrendous. I was there this afternoon and could not get a wifi signal on 3 different devices less than 40 feet from the router.

24. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

the last thing I want to do is add to the $40 billion plus equipment rental industry pay tv companies have going on.

25. ABC5S macrumors 68040

This is part of my dilemma. I want to cut the cable, but have the bundle price which will go by by and have to pay more just to have WiFi in the house, than I will still need the channels I want that are not included any where yet. (Fox New, Fox Business news, CNN, etc). The price I would be given just for WiFi is very close to what I'm paying now, so what is the point. Wish Congress would get off its butt and let us have Ala Cart channel purchases. I only watch 7 channels. None of which are sports, cooking channels, music or those Home network channels. :eek: