General So it's probably time I move on from ios6?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ntegra, Jul 14, 2014.

1. ntegra macrumors regular

I just found out 7.1.2 is jailbreakable.

Are there any regrets anyone has about leaving ios6 or is all of that in the past?

I have 7 on my ipad and the only thing I love about 6 is the "classic" look and feel of the operating system. My phone is the last device I have that has that "original" Apple/Jobs appeal to it.

ios7 seems to have better airplay support, and a lot of apps looks like they "require" ios7.

Think I should move on?

2. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

Yes move on. You can't stay in the past forever. iOS 7 isn't as bad as people make it sound. It's a great visual refresh with some great new features- and jailbroken, it becomes the best OS's out there

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would.
    ios 8 is coming out soon.
    And hopefully a JB for that will come out down the road.
    No need to be 2 major ios versions behind.

4. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Conversely, why go through the hassle of upgrading to 7 when 8 is only a couple months away?

I’m staying on 6 with my 4S because some of my favorite tweaks are not iOS 7 compatible, and there are zero features of iOS 7 that appeal to me.

iOS 8 on the other hand will be bringing major improvements, especially to the camera, and when it comes out I will strongly consider upgrading to it.

5. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

Beat thing to do is check if your tweaks have been updated for 7. If they are, definitely upgrade!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

iOS 8 could take months to be out. And even longer after for a jb to be released for it.

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

As many people as you are going to find in this thread telling you that iOS 7 is great and that you should move forward, there are roughly the same who have posted here about their regret for leaving iOS 6.

Consider your options carefully. My main reason for not moving forward is that a lot of my time would be spent tweaking everything back the way I want. Having to find new tweaks to take care of tweaks that no longer work and doing all of this work just to get back to where I am now is not something I really care to do.

I have almost everything iOS 7 has, if not better in some cases, either by tweak or app. My major apps still work in iOS 6 and I don't use my phone as a game machine or a computer. So there are no apps that I absolutely MUST run that would force me to iOS 7.

It's just personal preference. I don't like iOS 7 and I feel it's too much work to redo everything I've got going now. So, I chose to stay on iOS 6.

8. TheOtherKind macrumors member

I was going to hang onto 6 as long as possible, but a restore forced 7 on me...using tweaks such as ClassicDock and Ayecon theme, I have a UI which pretty closely resembles the "classic" look and feel you're trying to keep, at least from a homepage standpoint

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

10. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

man, i'd trade any ios 7 for ios 6. i'd even use it vanilla if i had to. its just so much better!

11. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Agree. I just got my iOS 7.1 iPod Touch 5 replaced with one running iOS 6.1.3. What a difference. It looks 100 times better. I'm not updating it, probably ever

12. johndoe588 macrumors regular

I recently updated my ip5 from 6.x to 7.x. I'm not sorry I did it but I'm one of the few who doesn't like any of the visual changes in 7. I don't think it looks "fresh" or "modern", just harder to read. But things change and some apps needed it and I'm sure the under the hood changes are for the best. Just about all the tweaks I use work so it looks as good, to me, as I can make it. I'm probably just old and resistant to change but I think I'd be pretty unhappy with 7 on my phone without a jailbreak and tweaks.

13. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

oh, there arent a "few" of us lol, i would say maybe 40% of us hate the look and feel of ios 7.

14. ntegra thread starter macrumors regular

I've decided to keep my iPhone 5 on ios6.

Why fix what isn't broken?

If anything I would get the iPhone 6 this Christmas. I like upgrading every two years.

15. EzDoesItSC macrumors member

I just did mine and I'm amazed at what it did for my signal . There was 2 spots on a road that I travel daily the call dropped every single day. After the update I can talk from one end of the road to another. I was about ready to throw my phone out the window the signal quality was awful. I like my phone again now after the update.

16. KingShoot007 macrumors member

If your main device are already on iOS 7, you should stay on iOS 6 and keep that "Jobs" look. I have iOS 5, and while the app support is crap, I find it much faster (iPad 2) and it has that vintage iOS look