So, I've decided to MACify...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheOnlyOasis, Dec 4, 2007.

  1. TheOnlyOasis macrumors newbie

    Dec 4, 2007
    Hey! I just joined the forums...

    I've been somewhat interested in macs for a while, but was leaning towards PCs since I'm more used to how they work. But the other day I went to my friends house and he showed me his macbook, and I fell in love with it. A few days I went to another guy's house to work on a school project, and he showed me his macbook pro, and was telling me about how great mac is.

    Since then I've been obsessing about macs and have been looking up things about it all the time online, and have finally decided that I'm switching to mac for sure. Now its all just a question of which one to get, and when.

    From what I've seen, the macbook seems just fine for college, and the big increase in price for the macbook pro doesn't seem very worth it. However, I want something that will last me all through college and graduate school, so I might as well get what will give me the most longevity. From that standpoint, if its really worth it, I don't mind spending the extra money. If I got just a macbook, I'd go with the $1299 model (I don't want the higher end one, I think white looks better than the black anyway). If I got the macbook pro, all I know is that I'd get the 15 inch, because 17 inches is just too big for my tastes.

    Also, I'm pretty sure I'll be waiting until the "macworld" thing in January, so I can see what updates come up, as they may impact my decision. Is there any chance that they will have any upgrades/changes to the regular "macbook"? I'm not interested in the ultra-portable, because I want the CD drive, and want to do some somewhat intensive things such as use photoshop and stuff.

    Furthermore, what are the chances for another update for either the MB or MBP by summer of 08? I'm a senior in highschool right now, and I have a desktop which is fine now to use... I really just need a laptop for college. The main advantages for waiting until then are possible updates/upgrades and the student discount I'll get for being a college student by then. The main advantage of splurging and getting one now (or in January) is basically just "instant gratification" and a toy I'll get to play with right away. I have pretty good self control though and don't mind waiting as long as its worth the wait.

    So, what do you guys think, and why?
    Any help, insight, suggestions, and so forth are appreciated. Thanks! :apple::D

    EDIT: By the way, after the probable updates of the macbook pro in january, the most likely wont be anymore MBP updates for a few years afterwards, right?
  2. Muncher macrumors 65816


    Apr 19, 2007
    My story is almost the same. I had a project last year, my friend showed me his blackbook, and I promptly sold my Dell laptop (not an easy task :rolleyes:). I was went to an apple store to test drive one before I bought it, played with an imac, and I was hooked. Having waited from April to October for Leopard and an imac update, my advice is to wait. It's much more satisfying than buying right away. Also, If you're fine with small screen sizes, there's all those rumors flying around about a sub-notebook MBP coming out in January. The MBPs are especially nice machines, and I would have gotten one had I had the money. They're supposedly the best for vista, too.

    Have fun with your new mac, whatever you decide!

    Oh and PS: Apple *usually* updates their notebooks about twice a year.
  3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a


    Jan 20, 2007
    If there is a decent redesign in January, chances are you won't be seeing a big update for a few years. Small updates come once or twice a year however, seems to be getting faster with tech speeding along.

    Chances are a macbook pro may last you longer, just because of the graphics card and such, but either a macbook or macbook pro will last you a good long time... through undergrad probably, through grad school, there is probably no doubt it will LAST that long, but it may be quite slow compartively by then (granted people are using g3 ibooks still and powerooks from 7 + years ago still but tech is advancing faster year by year) ...

    however, the great things about the mac world is the tremendous resale value. I sold my tibook for 600 bucks when it was 5 years old, my last MBP (nothing was wrong with it, i just wanted LED screen and a new SR processor C2D instead of CD) for pretty much exactly what I paid for it last year :) SO the good news, is if you have the urge to update or feel the need to a few years down the line, you will probably get decent value for your older Apple (more so then selling any other PC) to help with the price of the new one.

    As far as waiting, if I were you, I'd wait till the end of the year. Not only is graduation money probably awaiting you, and other such things from relatives, and like you said a student discount, but you will also get the most bang for your buck... and ALSO, chances are anything new that came out in January may be in the refurb store by then, which is usually even cheaper then student discount, which could be a really good thing for you.

    All in all, welcome to the world of Mac. Happy waiting. You will wonder how you ever waited at all :)

    P.S. I love my macbook pro. 1699 in the refurb store 2.2 SR and it is GREAT.
  4. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a


    Oct 29, 2007
    the 13 colonies
    Well apparently Intel is coming out with the Montevina platform in the middle of the year, which would probably be the 2nd yearly update of the MBP line next honestly, for you to get the most bang for the buck you should hold off on the instant gratification and wait till at least the summer for the second MBP update and you will end up having a machine that may last you an extra year in terms of up to date interior.
  5. TheOnlyOasis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 4, 2007
    Thanks a lot, guys! Yeah so I guess it looks like I'll be waiting until August '08 or so, so that I can get the student discount and the latest updates available. Is there any other info on the mid-year update of the MBP?

    ktbubster: I'm sending you a message right now about the refurbished apples...
  6. mankar4 macrumors 6502a


    Aug 23, 2007
    there isn't any info on the mid-year now, and i'm guessing it will be more of a august or september update than mid-year. i'd still wait though. Realize, though, that with the speed of tech progression these days no laptop you buy this year or the next will last you through grad school 8 years from now.
  7. amiga macrumors 6502


    Jul 12, 2006
    There will alway be something new around the corner and you could end up waiting for ever for the next great thing... I think Jan would be fine, its close enough and with any luck there will be updates... I'm wating to see what happens in January anyway. :apple:
  8. queshy macrumors 68040


    Apr 2, 2005
    The student discount is available all year. The free-printer promotion is usually get $100 for printer. However, if you wait 'til back to school time, they give you $200 towards an iPod.
  9. markiv810 macrumors regular

    Sep 27, 2002
    in Limbo
    MacBook Pro would be a nice choice though it is substantially more expensive. MacBook pro would easily last you 2-3 years without slowing down, second laptops are not known for processing power but for portability. I prefer the new MacBook pro models as they come with Nvidia graphics card making it easy for me to install Linux and have all my compiz effects up and running on the mac. Again it's your call as Apple might introduce a new notebook in the coming Expo (hopefully SSD based ultralight notebook). I would wait till Jan 15th if I were you.
  10. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

    Nov 14, 2007
    Refurbished Macbook from Apple for now, new MBP in a year

    My advice, get a reconditioned MacBook direct from Apple. You'll get some good savings (and a virtually new machine anyway if your lucky) so as not to hurt your pocket too much and it'll give you enough power for your needs now and will stop the 'MacAche' (a symptom people get just before buying their first Mac. I had this while aching to buy an iMac, so I got a Mac mini :) )

    In a year or so when you'll have a better idea of what you want, the new MBP will have gone through at least one major revision, so you'll have something to last you for at least 3 years.
  11. Consultant macrumors G5


    Jun 27, 2007
    There will always be new technology down the road.

    I am sure there will be new chips in '09, '10, '11, etc, as it looks like Intel is trying to produce a new chip almost every year. Do you want to wait forever? Well I would definitely wait until Mac World, but no use waiting for the next thing indefinitely.
  12. Consultant macrumors G5


    Jun 27, 2007
    After MacWorld you can always get refurb.

    Some refurb (Apple Certified) MacBook Pro models are not that much more than the price of new MacBook.
  13. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

    Apr 2, 2006
    No, I think you should wait until November 2089. I hear the Macbook Pros will have an 84 terrahertz core 3 octo processor, will be so small it will fit in your pocket, will do all your work for you without you even telling it to and will bring world peace, as well as making you an instant gazillionaire:rolleyes:
  14. KingYaba macrumors 68040


    Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons
    Negative. Expect enhancements every year.
  15. Consultant macrumors G5


    Jun 27, 2007
    You forgot to mention the built in teleport... Beam me up scottie! =p
  16. amac4me macrumors 65816


    Apr 26, 2005
    First off, congrats on the decision to make the switch.

    I think the chances of a MacBook revision anytime soon are slim given the fact they were updated at the beginning of November. The MacBook Pro will likely be revamped first, probably at MacWorld in January or soon afterwards. The earlier in the year that Apple updates a system the greater chance of the model getting updated at some point later on in the year. Apple generally updates portables twice a year.

    If you plan on keeping the system for a few years, I suggest getting the MacBook Pro as it's more durable thanks to the aluminum enclosure.
  17. TheOnlyOasis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 4, 2007
    Thanks a lot for the insight everyone...

    For those who are saying that I shouldn't always "wait for the next big thing," I completely understand where you're coming from... there will always be something new around the corner. However, I know that I don't need it by August 08, and if I haven't bought one by then, I'll definitely buy one at that time. I was just wondering if there would be any point in waiting until then, or if I should just get one immediately after the MWSF in January.

    I'm probably going to wait until the summer... that 200 dollars off ipod deal sounds pretty good, and the student discount is a plus, and I'd get the latest thing available. Maybe if something extraordinary comes out in January and I just cant wait to have it, I'll change my mind. Thanks again!

Share This Page