iPhone XS Max So... I've finally decided

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MagicHAM, Dec 1, 2018.

1. MagicHAM macrumors 6502

MagicHAM

Okay so I finally decided a few weeks or so going to the app estore and various shops playing with the iPhone XS Max and the iPhone XR. It took a good few weeks to finally make the choice. I decided with the XS Max because I'm used to big phones in my hand and I just loved the natural feel and how easy I can carry it. I know many here say that its supposed to be a heavy phone, but not for me. I compared both the XR and the XS Max, and I have to say that the XR was way too light for me. I am not sure why this is, maybe it's because I'm coming from the 7 Plus , that holding something lighter doesn't feel righter.

I was orginally going to go with the XR to save on price, but lose out on some features like a nice screen to watch HD content on my plex server, and the ability to portrait mode everything I see. (I'm a casual photographer).

Getting it next week, hopefully Tuesday. In store purchase. I'm reading a lot of the pluses and the negatives online and on here too so it has been a very very difficult decision, but I finally cemented my decision today. Can't wait!

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I know many mention the the XS has a nice display (Which it does, I own the Max) over the XR, but in comparison to the iPhone XS, the XR display looks almost just as good, some can’t even tell the difference between Apples OLED and Liquid Retina display. But if you want the best ‘Viewing Content’, the XS is very crisp.

3. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

You’ve really got to do your own research, ideally see the phones in person, and make your own mind up. Because of the nature of the beast a large amount of the “pluses and the negatives” have been written by people who can be a bit OCD. Especially some of the negatives as generally more people are willing to complain rather than praise. Enjoy your new phone!

4. davedvdy macrumors 6502a

You have it backward. The iPhone XR weighs a little more, not less, than the iPhone 7 Plus.

7 Plus - 6.63 oz

XR - 6.84 oz

5. MagicHAM thread starter macrumors 6502

MagicHAM

I'll let you guys know how I get on! but yeah there are so many things to be aware of and stuff. So I am not going into this half minded, I'm well aware the trade offs I will be doing. Just can't wait.

That's what I have been doing mate, so it's been a long three weeks. :) Of course I'm very intone about things of things when people complain about small issues, which is important to them but not so for me.

Can't wait to show it off in this thread! :p
    --- Post Merged, Dec 1, 2018 ---
    Hey Dave, I didn't get that impression when I picked it up though. It was just so light for me. I am not sure it could be the fact that I have strong hands maybe. But interesting to see the difference of spec size of both phones though.

6. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Enjoy, love my max makes me use bigger size with portability

7. calliex macrumors member

calliex

I starred at both side by side, looking at the same picture on both and other comparisons and I can not tell the difference. Do not like that the XR is bigger than the XS. I do not see a $400 diff between the two.

8. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

If the Max doesn't have any of the problems then it's a great piece of over-priced kit. I got mine yesterday after going back and forth between the Max and the XR. I decided to go with the Max first and if it displayed the connectivity problems or PWM(?) or stuttering video then I'd return it and get an XR and be done with it. BUT... the phone has been almost perfect so far (one day only) except for the sim tray. It's really hard to eject compared to my 6S+.

I've got 50gig a month data (starting from today!) so I've been doing some random speed tests and it seems totally fine. Real world usage it's been great, so far...

I do miss the home button somewhat, but I'm getting used to the new gestures and they are quite intuitive. I do prefer the old way to bring up all the open apps via double clicking the home button though. Face ID has been fantastic for banking, websites etc. It's really quite good and hasn't failed me yet.

Honestly, I'd also have been extremely happy with the XR. I really liked it the 3 times I played around with it in the shops. I just really wanted it to be slightly wider so movies would play at the same size or bigger than a plus phone. That's why I went with the Max over the XR first. The screen size.

Unless it exhibits one of the known problems you'll really like it. I'm super impressed with the screen size in a body that's slightly smaller than my 6S+. My screen is flawless as well. My 6S+ has a really good screen, but I think I won the screen lottery this time and got the best screen I've ever owned on any device/computer.

I think for the 2 reasons you mention, portrait for anything and watching videos, you've made the right choice. I do wish Apple would allow the main XS camera to do portrait mode though. Quite a few photo youtubers reckon the results are better on the XR than the XS because of the wider angle lens being used.

9. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

Most people can't sense that small weight change and the phone Xr is well balanced so I think the thickness and weight is much to do about nothing!

You did just what a consumer should do, you went in and tried them out and then made the choice that makes the most sense to you. That is as it should be. My opinion at the end of the day is just that and doesn't mean much to the one that is buying and using the phone. The Xr was my choice for various reasons, which I won't get into because this is your thread. Congrats! Look forward to hearing about your experience with the Xs Max.

10. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

All that I have to do is look at those two screens in dark setting, and I will be able to tell you immediately which one is OLED and which one is not.

11. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

All I had to do was travel with two friends for 4 days and I knew which ones had OLED screens because they were always looking for a plugin to charge their phones! True Story!

12. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

No one mentioned battery life, and difference between XS Max and XR in battery life is less than an hour. So, you would be looking for a plug in shortly after your friends.

13. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

Actually they were using Androids and I never actually had to charge while at the airport and other locations through-out they day.. they did. So you made an assumption not in evidence. My point is that while OLED is great you do pay a price in battery life and you can't get around that fact. The reduced battery life for some maybe worth it, NOT for me!

14. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

I made an assumption due to your misleading reply to my previous post. You are to blame as much as I am. Why are you even mentioning Android devices of who knows what battery capacities and power usage, when we are talking about iPhones here?

15. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

You are missing the point, which isn't surprising! You can't argue with the fact that higher resolution OLED's just aren't as power efficient as the lower resolution Xr's LCD. You can try to make this about me or my post or make all the assumptions you want, but you cannot get around the facts! I was not referring to specific phones other than the Xr. I was referring to high res OLED screens vs LCD screens at lower resolutions. Nuff said!

16. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

This discussion is over. OLEDs can, although not necessarily use slightly more power, but you were comparing apples to oranges from the very start.

17. OTACORB, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018

OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

In the case of the X, Xr, Xs and Xs Max they are ALL Apple's just different varieties. LOL :p

I shared the fact that while you would think OLED's which are to some degree power efficient, they just can't beat the lower resolution LCD's which is why the Xr in particular gets outstanding battery life. I am also one of those that have compared OLED and LCD side by side as I owned both at the same time. No doubt the OLED has darker colors (almost a little too saturated) dark text clarity and rich blacks. But for me an average user it just didn't win out. Battery life and price at the end of the day was the champion. Everyone has different expectations. Which is why I was proud to see the OP check them out to make the right decision for themselves. This isn't a OLED against LCD. There are just pros and cons to all tech. One must get what works best for them and we all come out happy. Xs Max as a wonderful phone, but I think equally as much about the Xr for my use.

18. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

19. MagicHAM thread starter macrumors 6502

MagicHAM

I've had the phone for a few days, loving it. Still getting used to the swip up to unblock from the bottom, don't really miss the touch button to unlock. Screen is fantastic, size is perfect for me and the grip is nice and solid. I got two cases, the iPhone back cover and then a nice grip one which will protect the sides and back side when i take it to work.

I went with the 64 gig, plenty of space to have a few music and videos and some games. :p