so i've got $120 left...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by migsev, Oct 19, 2008.

1. migsev macrumors regular

just ordered my macbook pro (first ever mac!) and an incase messenger bag. i'm getting an LCD monitor and an MX518 from my uncle. i've got around $120 (maybe $150 at a stretch) to get a keyboard and some speakers. im hoping to set up a simple little computer station at home. :)

for the speakers, i wouldn't really need something with a big bang as i've got a small room. i just want something that'll sound good when playing music.

for the keyboard, i was looking at the corded apple keyboard for the apple-only keys but the keys are flat. i play a little bit of games here and there so would those make things difficult?

any suggestions? like i said, im hoping to spend around $120 for both. thanks!

2. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

3. chill. macrumors 6502

if you're on a tight budget go on craigslist, you can probably get a keyboard for free to $10, and a decent set of speakers for $10-20

for style, i really like the apple wired keyboard (~$50) and the harmon kardon soundsticks (~$100)

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Budget speakers either go with some Logitech or Creative 2.1's.

Keyboard, I like the Apple one because most windows ones don't have a set up that is conducive to using the command key

5. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

they're $160 and they don't have a headphone jack.

any opinions on these?
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/TK200VC/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0MA&mco=NzkzMDU4

i've read that bose is overpriced in general so i have a tendency to avoid them if i can.

with the apple wired, do they make gaming harder? mind you, i'm not one of those hardcore games. i just like playing a little to unwind.

6. mcruzader macrumors regular

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

This is a bit of a non-traditional speaker, but I use one of these to connect up to my shop MB. The sound is sweet for $35, and I've always had good luck with JBL.

8. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

buy a last gen apple keyboard off of ebay the one with bigger keys and then buy the Bose series 2 speaker for $70 at BJ'S or $100 at Bestbuy

9. munckee macrumors 65816

Logitech Z-4/Z-4i is a good speaker choice, IMO. Can be had for $40-50 with a little shopping around. I have them in my small room and watch hulu and movies on them all the time, and use them for my primary music system at home.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I just have to say: this thread has lasted longer than I've ever seen $120 last! :D

11. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Where did you see them for $160 ?
    Here they are on Amazon for $108 !
    These are fantastic sounding and very good looking speakers. You won't regret them. They are just like you want (something with a big bang as i've got a small room. i just want something that'll sound good when playing music)
    Furthermore, why do you need a headphone jack on a speaker ? Can't you connect the headphones to the port on your laptop directly, instead of wasting power on the speaker just to bridge your headphone ? :rolleyes:
    Even if connecting the headphones to the back of a "PC"/Mac Pro was a problem, one could always use one of these cables for cents ! instead of an idling speaker set.

They look fugly. Hk looks classy with Macs. Don't waste money on Bose.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Bose are extremely overpriced, people im shocked ggjstudios didnt mention the search feature for the speakers. Logitech or Creative are your best bet for under $100. There is no advantage of the Bose if you want a better value then those 2.0 go for the Creative T40.

The SoundSticks are overpriced as well, the Logitech's will sound much better. If you want style then you shouldn't be asking, if you want sound you should use the search feature. ;)

13. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

hmm, i see your point. i'm considering these if i can find a cheaper keyboard. they were $160 from the apple store. :p

my apologies for not searching first. :eek: i just did one now and the most common that came up for 2.1's were klipsch, creative, and logitech. klipsch is out of my price range, so it seems im limiting my choices to creative and logitech. my choices now:

Logitech Z-4 $63
    Creative I-Trigue 3000 $75
    Logitech Z-2300 $84
    Creative T20 $87
    HK Soundsticks 2 $108
    Creative T40 $123

then i'll top it all off with an apple wired keyboard. they all have decent reviews but i don't think i can get the soundsticks or the T40's unless i can get a decent keyboard for WAY cheaper. any comments?

14. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

You can get a pair of HK Soundsticks II at Best Buy in the $115-130 range as they are on clearance. I paid $117 for a pair two weeks ago and saw a pair at a different Best Buy in the Atlanta Area for $130 ($169 at the Apple Store).

They are wonderful speakers and they look great too!

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Z-2300 is the best sounding.

16. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

$108 in amazon.;)

17. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the help. this may seem like a silly question but...this is from experience?

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I still own a pair of Soundsticks (no longer use them b/c of KRK Monitors)
    My father has the Logitech's
    I have heard the T40s

19. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Keyboard

For a Keyboard I use the Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000. It is a great keyboard and MS provides IntelliType Pro 6.3 drivers for the keyboard that corrects the placement of the option/alt and command/:apple: keys so that it is just like an Apple keyboard, as long as you do not look at the alt and start button keys.

Also the top row media keys and calculator keys are fully customizeable.

I have mine set up to control itunes and volume no matter which program I am working in and the launch keys set to my most used programs. This keyboard also works quite well for gaming in Windows and OS X.

If you are looking for a mouse I would suggest the Logitech MX310.

As for speakers I could not say I always hated "computer speakers" and have all of my computers hooked into home stereos with full height tower speakers.

20. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

i like how customizable that sounds. does the shape play a factor when it comes to light gaming though? FPS mostly.

as much as i'd hook my computer up to towers, i think that'd be overkill for my tiny room. :p

the logitech's actually sound better than the soundsticks or the T40's? :eek: if so, looks like i'm set for those then. :D

any comments on using the apple wired KB for FPS games?

21. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

How small is the room in college I had towers hooked up in a 10'x13' bedroom?

As for the shape of the keyboard I love it. It is much more comfortable than straight keyboards and the heavily curved "ergonomic" keyboards are also far less comfortable than this one. As for gaming it works great for me on wide variety of games.

Knights of the Old Rebublic 1 and 2, Doom 3, Age of Empires/Mythology All, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Resident Evil 4, Call of Duty games, Tomb Raider series, The Sims 2

Once you use the keyboard for a little while it feels much more natural. If you touch type it the transition is seemless from straight keyboards. Whereas the full ergonomic keyboards are quite the adjustment.

22. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

im not sure with the exact dimensions, but its relatively small with thin walls. i don't want sounds booming out of my room. :p

might give that keyboard a try. thanks for the help!

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The T40s have what some would say would be a more pure sound, when I say that the Logitech's sound better, I really am talking about what seems like your needs (Games, Music, Movies) versus editing.

24. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

exactly what i'll be using it for. they aren't flimsy at all though, right? i had a pair of altec lansings a long time ago which sounded great when playing tunes but popped after 2 months. :(

looks like i'm getting those Z2300's on november 6 then! :D

25. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, Logitech has made their mark in the computer speaker market. In terms of people that by third-party speakers amongst those that I have seen they seem to be the overwhelming favorite.