So I've got my son's placenta in my fridge... what now?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fuzzy14, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

This thread may gross out many readers, the title says it all. If you think you will be offended then please read a different thread.

First good news: my wife gave birth to my son on Thursday morning. Yay! Everything going well, he's got jaundice due to a minor problem but both should be out before Christmas.

Shock 1: after delivery the hospital offered us the placenta to take home. Didn't know they did that.
    Shock 2: The wife said yes.

So I've now got a placenta sitting in my fridge (next to my beer) and I don't know what to do with it. Before anybody suggests it, I am not keen on eating it, although I am tempted to stuff the turkey with it and feed it to the mother in law for Christmas dinner.

Any reasonable suggestions? I've read about people burying it in the garden and planting a tree on top. Anybody else did something like this?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow! Keep it for sure. Give it to him when he hits puberty. It'll keep his pants on for a good long time when you tell him where it came from. :)

Sorry- I'm just evil like that sometimes. ;)

3. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

LOL! :D

And then in a little bit more serious tone, did they tell you why you could take that home? I mean, it's an odd thing to take home it's not like it's a home run ball or something you can hang in your wall... ;)

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

As a yank, I'm not sure what all the ingredients of haggis are, but would placenta ruin the recipe? Just kidding:p

I think burying it and planting something over it is a good idea--I just don't if this is the right time of the year for that in Scotland.

5. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

The placenta is an excellent source of stem cells. More and more parents have taken to freezing them for future medical needs for themselves or their child.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. 119576 Guest

Good call. It would look amazing.

8. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

Wow, that's something that never crossed my head. I feel stupid. :(

Very bright idea, thou

9. PupnTaco macrumors regular

PupnTaco

10. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

They said it was our property and so up to us if we wanted to keep it! Mind you, I wasn't offered it when my first was born. Maybe it was tongue in cheek and they weren't expecting us to answer.

Quite frighteningly, it looks like liver which is one of the ingredients of haggis. I don't think it'll keep until Burns so I'll put it in the freezer until spring.

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

First thing I'd do is move it away from the beer. It might make your ale go off or something, and we wouldn't want that... :eek:

12. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I'm working on it....

Attached Files:

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Ah... it's Stella.

I wouldn't bother shifting it, in that case. ;)

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Odd topic...can't resist. :)
    First, I believe that the doctor's offered it to you because stem cell research is on-going and having it could undoubtedly save your son's life if he were to be burdened with something bad. I would certainly speak to a qualified individual about this and look into storing it elsewhere. Perhaps the fridge at home is not the best place.
    Second, it is your property (or your wife's) and it is her choice. Since stem cell research is quite controversial I would be interested in doing more research on it if I were you. Again, this could heal your son if he were to ever fall terribly ill.
    Third, I'd move it away from the beer. ;)

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

[​IMG]

Sorry, it's just the first thing that sprung into my head :p

16. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

HAHAHA! :D I laughed so hard to this thing I fell off the chair. I'm a TCA in a testing center and it was kind of embarrassing, with all the testers and such... :p

That's very funny. Where did you get it?

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I agree with this sound advice. :)

I believe there are plenty of labs around that will keep the placenta frozen for you for quite cheap. That way, should your son ever need it (here's hoping he doesn't) he's got something to potentially save his life.

Think of it like you would a life insurance policy. It's just to protect him in the future. :)

18. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

It was your wife's idea to bring it home. What does SHE want to do with it?

This is a little too touchy-feely for me.

19. adk macrumors 68000

adk

20. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

What? You think I know how a woman's mind works???? :rolleyes:

She's still in hospital since the wee man is being kept in due to rhesus incompatibility causing jaundice (her very rare o-neg blood is causing problems with his and my rare B-pos blood) so the issue is my problem to sort.

I was very impressed by the stem cell suggestions, that's a whole issue I didn't even think off although there are a few moral and religious issues we will need to discuss first (we come from differing religious backgrounds which doesn't help.) The stem cells are only in the blood contained within the umbilical cord but I think there will be some left.

I think I'll move it into the freezer tonight but I don't think it is cold enough for long-term storage so I would need to find a lab. Funny enough, I had access to liquid nitrogen in my previous job.

However I think the favorite is to bury it and plant a tree!

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you're worried about the moral/religious implications, just remember that you haven't had to harm anyone to get it, and that it is your son's DNA that's in question. When the time comes, don't you think it should be left up to him to decide?:) After all, he can always choose to throw it away on his own later, but if you do it now without asking him, you've taken something from him.

22. shecky Guest

shecky

eat it with some fava beans and a nice chianti?

[​IMG]

23. Hmac macrumors 68020

But so few of those parents actually have the tools or education to culture those stem cells. They'd have been better off giving the placenta to Stem Cells 'R Us.

Ask your wife what her plan was for the home placenta. Otherwise, I'd just pitch it.

24. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I has to agree with those who suggest finding a lab that will store it. Stem-cell research is very promising and I am glad to see people are getting options now when it comes to storing the placenta for harvesting stem cells if needed.