So I've had my Macbook Pro for about a week now...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matto1020, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Matto1020 macrumors member

Matto1020

And I am pretty sure I will never be switching back to Windows permanently! OS X is just sooo nice!

Anyways I do have a question regarding bootcamp. I need to use WinXP for a couple Win only programs...can I just install WinXP on an external Harddrive and use bootcamp to access WinXp with it or does WinXP NEED to be installed on my MBP's harddrive? I would prefer it on a serperate one just incase anything were to happen (virus or otherwise) it would be completly seperate from my MBP.

Thanks!

2. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I've been told it is theoretically possible to have Windows on an external drive but I'm yet to succeed...

My setup is I gave Windows a 15 GB partition and then install games and such on an external hard drive and run it from that.

As for a virus potentially corrupting your Mac installation, I could be wrong, but it is probably very unlikely/impossible since Windows can't read the Mac's file system, and thus you can't access any of your Mac files while booted up in Windows.

3. hohohong macrumors 6502

Anyone tried this (booting windows from ext HD)? Lemme know if this works.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you need to edit XP or vistas image to install on a external. windows makes you install on a internal hardrive. ive got no idea how to do it so google for it.

@ Matto

why not jsut use parallels to use a few windows apps? you wont need to reboot, windows starts up in a mater of seconds and you can save your docs on your OS X hard disk. i use boot camp to play games cos u cant in parallels.
    dont worry about virii in parallels either as OS X cannot even read them. but on the other hand you could worry about pasing them onto your pc buddies if you even hang around with them anymore! lol ;)

5. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Also, *correct me if I'm wrong* with Parallels, instead of having to go through the Windows install process, if your 'doze install gets infected with a virus or whatever, you can just throw it away and have a new virtual machine running in a few minutes.

6. Matto1020 thread starter macrumors member

Matto1020

Ok so here's a question. Can Parallels read off of my external harddrive where I have some movies saved from iMovie?

Also...there is a program I love using called TagandRename which basically fixes all your tags on MP3 files. If I were to have an MP3 downloaded into Mac OSX...can I run parallels to run TagandRename and fix the MP3 tag? Thanks!