So I've heard MobileMe might become free...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRLMJ23, Dec 29, 2010.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I really want to know if anyone else has heard anything more about this! My MobileMe is due 1/24 and I don't want to have to pay for it if 2 weeks later it's going to be free. I don't know...

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That rumor has been going around longer than the one for the iPhone on Verizon. It may happen at some point but not any time soon in my opinion.

3. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

So you say go aheead and upgrade my account now?

4. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I doubt it'll be anytime soon, unfortunately. Still have a few months left on my subscription at least JUST in case. :D

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm saying that there haven't been any recent rumors to suggest that it actually will be free soon. If I were you I'd renew.

6. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Alright, thanks guys. I appreciate the help! Thanks again!

7. aldo818 macrumors regular

8. Merkie macrumors 68020

I hope it will become free. It would be a major selling point for the iPhone, again. But I have feeling Apple is holding this out on us like an ace up their sleeve, they're doing perfectly fine with their pair of kings already. So you might actually blame Android for not being good enough ;) .

9. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Even if it does go free after you purchase it, Apple is good about reimbursing people for stuff like that. Those that bought Macs 30 days prior to iLife '11 going on sale got a free download. I'm sure they would make the situation right.

I believe MobileMe is going to have two versions in the near future. A free version with basic features, and a premium version with more robust capabilities. If that happens, all those who've paid will be "fenced" in the premium version. The rest will be offered the basic MobileMe. I have no proof of this...complete speculation!

Just me $.02

Cosmo

10. Ars Diaboli macrumors member

I'm in the same position as the OP. I, too, don't think that Apple will allow it to be a free service. Google might be doing it (or at least email) but Apple is in the $ making biz. And since I have stock, I can't be too upset.

11. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

If they make it free, they would have to out tons of advertisements. But then again. I dont mind ads. :)