so i've heard there are many problems upgrading to leopard. help!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by optimus prime, Dec 28, 2007.

1. optimus prime macrumors regular

so i'm about to install leopard. i don't want to do a clean sweep. will it be ok just to upgrade?

im scared

how do i get rid of this "application enhancer"
    [​IMG]

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Don't be a wuss. Any issues are generally very minor. Do the upgrade, don't do the clean install. Clean install will only take longer and create more possibilities for problems.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Do an Archive and Install. To you, it will essentially look like an upgrade (except there will be a "Previous Systems" folder, and any Preference Panes you've installed will be gone, if you installed them system-wide), but it will be a clean install without many of the problems that arise from upgrading and having older or corrupt files and software interfere. It won't change your user interface or data or settings, however, so no work necessary after install to get it back to the way it was.

jW

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Very misleading advice, btw. Clean installs don't create any more possibilities for problems, and in fact remove many problems. They're just slightly unecessary, but upgrades are in fact worse.

jW

6. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

7. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

also i heard that programs such as smcfancontrol, InsomniaX, and Adobe CS3 perform poorly or not at all with leopard... those are 3 of my most used and favorite apps... what do i about that?

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's "clean" install that doesn't erase the drive, essentially. The System folder, as well as the Library folder, are moved to a folder called Previous Systems, where they are unable to load at boot. Application Enhancer (along with the other few Preference Panes you have installed) will be removed and you'll have to reinstall them, but it means that neither they nor any of the other things like that you may have installed will be able to mess up your system. Your Users folder is untouched, except for the new things added in the upgrading process, so when you reboot, you won't have to go move your files back from a backup or anything like that, but you'll get the same fresh install that you would if you did an Erase and Install (which is what people are referring to when they say Clean Install, which hasn't been an option for many years).

jW

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I can assure you that SMC FanControl and Photoshop CS3 work perfectly with Leopard ... :)

10. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

thanks a lot. so no word on InsomniaX?

also, so i should go the archive and install route?

any word on parallels?

oh yeah, and candybar?

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Sorry cant help on the other programs you mention, although why bother with parallels when you have Bootcamp?
    I am running Win Xp via Bootcamp and it's as smooth as silk.

Sorry forgot to mention, I prefer a clean install (Erase and Install), yes it means more work but there's nothing like a nice clean system ..:)

12. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

thanks a lot bro!

and as for the erase and install, that does mean i'd have to back up everything?

sorry i'm very new to mac. i've only been using it since june and havent gotten to the real technical stuff yet.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes. Take the "erase" part of the name seriously.

14. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

No problem my friend.
    Yes you will need to back up all data files and be prepared to reinstall all your software programs so make sure you have all the install disks and necessary serial numbers etc.

I find an "Erase & Install is good for the soul lol .. :)