So, I've ordered the Speedlite 580 EXII. What kind of diffuser should I get?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by seenew, Sep 23, 2007.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I've heard a lot of good things about Gary Fong's diffusers, but I want to make sure I get a nice one that I can use for a variety of different shots. I'm completely new to using an external flash, so if anyone could guide me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

(PS: I'm shooting a friend's wedding in November, so keep that in mind, but like I said, I want something I can use in other situations, too)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Everyone will have an answer so I'll go with mine. Gary Fong's Lightsphere. Check it out.

3. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

Yeah, that's what I've been looking at.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

You might want to talk to the bride and find out if they want you using a flash at all. A lot of times people want the ceremony shot using only existing light because a flash is a big distraction - and a diffuser won't really change that.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I like my Gary Fong Lightsphere as well. Cloud colour for smaller areas and clear for bigger areas.

6. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

If you search Google or DPR, you can find instructions for making a diffuser from craft foam that's more directional and significantly cheaper than the cloudy Tupperware-ish stuff everyone recommends. You have the advantage of being able to control the shape/size for different crowds and how much it "cups" for places where you can't bounce off the ceiling. Even if you spend a lot of time to get it looking good and buy lots of Velcro for doing different ones, you'd be hard-pressed to spend more than about $15.

7. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

Oh, I've talked extensively with her, she even did me the huge favor of making a checklist of the 'must have' shots she wants, but really came to me because she wants a more personal approach than commercial. But yeah, I wouldn't use the flash during the ceremony, just for maybe in the limo or at the reception, and other times before and after.

And thanks for the idea, compuwar.

8. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I've got a Sto-fen Omnibounce for my Speedlight. It probably doesn't soften the light as much as the Lightsphere though, so the Lightsphere is probably better for wedding portraits.

9. glennp macrumors member

Peter Greggs' site will show you how to make one out of foam.

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

10. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

11. MacUserSince87 macrumors member

12. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Hey guys, I'm reviving this recent thread because I too am looking to get one of Gary Fong's Cloud Lightsphere diffusers.

My problem is that on the GF web page, the Canon 430EX is listed as being a size P3/C in the large chart but then at the bottom it says that the P4/C4 size will fit the 430EX. Conflicting sizes!!

Has anyone used a Canon 430EX flash with a Gary Fong Lightsphere diffuser? What size do you use?

13. scamateur macrumors member

ever so slightly off-topic...

Most wedding-reception photographers use a FLASH BRACKET, whether the diffuser is in use or not. A bracket will increase your "keeper" rate in the photos where flash is required.

14. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

Other than moving the on camera light source a greater distance from the lens, how would this 'increase' keeper rates? Diffusion w or w/o bracket should get much better image quality, hench 'keepers'.