So just got myself an Apple Watch series 4

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by npolly0212, Jul 25, 2019.

1. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Hey All!

finally got myself a series 4 apple watch 44mm. Now my question is - I like keeping track of my activity and switching songs and getting notifications - what other cool things are there to look out for and try to get used to doing with it to make it even better?

2. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

watchOS 6. Def check this one out in September. Needs iOS 13 though. lots of cool stuff. Noise detection, individual App Store, small redesign here and there, and more.
    If you have no need for sound quality, go check out AirPods or Powerbeats pro. They work splendidly well with Apple Watch.

3. Hi Tek macrumors regular

Hi Tek

• Use Siri, the more you do the more you'll see what you can do by just raising your wrist and asking
    • set up Apple Pay to look cool while paying for stuff
    • Podcast
    • If you use the Maps app, you get ding notifications for turn-by-turn
    • Flashlight is pretty handy in Control Centre

4. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Sleep tracking.
    Checks out Streak if you want to change some of your bad habits.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Create a grocery list in Reminders.

When you run out of something you just say "hey Siri, add eggs to the grocery list"!

6. Akrapovic macrumors 6502

Akrapovic

If you run or cycle then get WorkOutDoors app.

Podcasts use Overcast. Music use Apple Music.

7. rgyiv macrumors regular

rgyiv

8. MJ22 macrumors regular

You can set up your phone to take a picture, then run and get in the frame (so it’s not a regular selfie, you can take full length of yourself or get in group pics) and hit the button to take the photo from your wrist. I’m a fan of the 3 second timer so my hand is not on my wrist in the photo.

9. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

I'm surprised how often I use Shazam from my watch when I'm out and about and hear a song I like.

Turn on stand alerts so you're not sitting for so long.

Things that go into your Apple Wallet on your phone can also be accessed via your watch. I used my watch to get into a concert this weekend because the Ticketmaster app lets you put your ticket in your Apple Wallet.

10. preston66002425 macrumors member

what is different between all the iWatch 3 and 4

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

12. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey everybody! Thanks for all of the comments!

So I have rarely used siri on my iphone in the past years of having them - do i need to set something up on the watch to make it work? Do I just say "Hey Siri" or something to get it working?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2019 ---
    I love the flashlight and maps! both have been great! Do I need to set something up for siri to work or is it automatically on?

I would love to do this but I charge my apple watch overnight - is there a better way to get the most time usage out of it and being able to sleep wearing it? charge it near the end of the day before bed?

This is genius! I always forget stuff because of not having a list haha

Thanks, I will have to start using that for running, but music I use spotify, never been a fan of apple music

Thanks, will definitely begin using this!

Really? This is awesome - did not know that it was capable of doing this!

What is shazam? something like soundhound?
    The stand alerts was already on which I like that it does!
    Sadly my bank doesnt work with apple pay yet!
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2019 ---
    How do i get a new apple watch face that doesnt come with the watch? I have seen others with rolex faces and stuff before and got confused of how to do this.

13. MisterSavage, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019

MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

They both can identify music but Shazam came out first and is also now owned by Apple.

14. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

I will have to check this out! only ever used SoundHound

15. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

When you say "Hey Siri, what song is this?" it uses Shazam.

16. Akrapovic macrumors 6502

Akrapovic

I appreciate that. Apple Musics better Watch support is what caused me to swap over. I don't believe Spotify has the ability to save songs to the Watch at the moment. Apple Music lets me run with music on the Watch without my phone, so that was enough for me to swap. Obviously your call, but AM is improving. If they offer you a free trial then take it to try it out again. :)

17. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats pretty cool. I had it before so sadly no free trial. I have spotify cause im used to it, love it on my computer at work and my phone, and comes with hulu hahaha!

18. Ludatyk macrumors 68000

Ludatyk

You could use Apple Music on the web, but since you mention Hulu... then I understand you’re decision.

I’ve never really been into Hulu... only show that caught my attention was 11.22.63 Mini-Series, other than that.. Hulu hasn’t interested me.

19. rgyiv macrumors regular

rgyiv

Yep, Hey Siri should do the trick. Check the Settings app on your watch, General, Siri

And for watch faces, there's a Watch app on your iPhone, and one of the options is "Face Gallery," browse through 'em, click one you want, and then Add

20. Jarkleuang2018 macrumors newbie

activity monitor, and the fall detective!

21. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, activity monitor is awesome - have loved it. Whats fall detective?

22. parseckadet macrumors 65816

parseckadet

He meant fall detection. The watch can monitor for whether you've taken a serious fall. If you fall hard enough that the watch thinks you may have gotten hurt it will ask if you're alright. If you don't move and/or respond to the notification after such a fall (perhaps meaning you're unconscious) the watch will automatically dial 911 and send a text message to your emergency contact.

Whether this is enabled by default depends on your age. If you're over 65 then this is on by default. If you're younger than 65 you can activate it on your watch by going to Settings > SOS > Fall Detection. But do note that if you participate in certain activities, such as skiing or other sports, it may give you some false activations.

23. ssledoux macrumors 68000

ssledoux

Does the grocery list have to be set up in reminders, or can you have one in notes and have Siri add to it? If not, how do you set up a list in reminders?

Also, if it is set up on my phone, will it add to it from my watch?