So... Just How Durable Is This Thing?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tangledweb16, Feb 25, 2010.

1. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

I recently got myself a 32GB iPod touch, and I've been taking very good care of it, such as only setting it on soft surfaces and keeping it in a microfiber bag, as I do whenever I get a new Apple product. It doesn't have any scratches so far, but I know that they'll eventually show up and I don't care about that.

What I'm asking is, how durable is the iPod touch 3rd/2nd gen? I would say the most durable Apple product I've ever owned was the 1st gen iPhone. How does it compare to that, in general? Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is about as vague as you can get. As long as you don't break the screen, chances are it'll work just fine.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

yeah I mean as long as you don't drop it from really high or get the internals wet it should last a really really really long time without failing on its own.

4. polotska macrumors 6502

Not what I would really call "durable" but generally okay—unless you drop it, in which case both cracked glass and dented metal may result.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

don't know if you have a case for it but, if u don't.. the stainless steel back can scratch like crazy.

6. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

All of the iPods with stainless steel backs are going to get scratched without a case. I put my iPod Touch in an Agent18 case the day I got it, and it's still perfect a year later.

[​IMG]

That's after a full year of use. If you get a case, it should look good and last forever.

7. na1577 macrumors 6502a

It's fairly durable. The back will scratch as easily as other metal-backed iPods, and the screen, while scratch resistant, will still show scratches with normal use. The screen can easily be cracked, and isn't likely to survive a drop on a hard surface.

However, most damage done will only be a problem from a cosmetic standpoint; most cracked screens will still function, and a scratched body won't affect usage at all.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sound advice. Get a case for it - I have had a case for every iPod that I have owned; keep it in that case, even when you are listening to music, for example. It is possible to buy cases for the Touch that allow you to access the screen, while still keeping it safe.

Cheers

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

10. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I second this. I have a iPod Video (5th gen), which has been in an Agent18 case since day 1. Not a scratch on it 4 years later. My sister has her iTouch in one of their cases, and it's still perfect. I highly recommend them, they get the job done, are good quality, and don't stand out.

11. SeeMeRock macrumors newbie

Just get a decent case and it will stay in pretty good condition.

12. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

They aren't armoured trucks.

but then again they aren't wet paper bags.

I've dropped my 2nd Gen out of my hand onto concrete/mud/a river/a road/yet more concrete/gravel all before and apart from some scratches, (and it not working for a week after the river incident) it's working perfectly.

13. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

look up ipod touch stress test on youtube, i was watching one of them and a kid dropped his 2nd gen from ceiling height (probably 8-10 feet) without a case, and the first time, the screen didnt break, and it operated fine, and this is a screen test, but another tryed to scratch his with a key, and still no scratches. id say its pretty durable, because of all the stress test, i didnt see one broken, but alot of them had broken screens