So, leaning towards the iPP. Things to consider

Discussion in 'iPad' started by drewjonn, May 20, 2016.

1. drewjonn, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016

drewjonn macrumors regular

Felt that I needed to start a new thread, I know I'm creating multiple, but I think I just killed my old 13" MBP and might need a replacement for my secondary device pretty soon. I would actually prefer the 12.9" for the size, helps with Netflix for bed, Microsoft Office, and I think that splitting screen on a 9.7" is kinda pointless (just my opinion though) I don't know if it does any way better than the iPA without the keyboard.

The verdict? I read a lot of reviews saying that the 9.7" is arguably better. For sure, better screen and camera. I might have heard that the 9.7" iPP was more optimised compared to the big brother, and the better selling one. Also cheaper, but it doesn't really matter honestly. We know that I would need it more for school stuffs like at least Word (I need my 15" rMBP for Excel works) and also games or streaming, and I know that the 12.9" iPP is a better solution for the desk or the bed. The screen on the 9.7" iPP is too small for Word and I honestly didn't like my old iPad (2012 version) Would just love to try something different and I don't think that it's not mobile enough to carry.

Also, better camera on an iPad is kinda absurd (IMHO), so it's just about a newer release and more display features (like TT) on the 9.7, just kinda worried if they release the 12.9 iPP2 any time this year.

2. TorontoJen macrumors newbie

I was sort of in the same position as you are now. I really think that it sounds like you wouldn't be happy with the smaller version. My 12.9 IPP has a gorgeous screen. The size is great for note taking and the split screen is something I use plenty with Word and other apps. With the size, it doesn't seem cramped. I didn't care about a better camera, as I don't take pics with the device. I think the device is super fast
    Something better is always around the corner. If you need it now, I would get it now. Just my two cents.

3. sjleworthy, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016

sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

I think you're looking too deeply into things. The screen differences might be different on paper, but in use-age i bet, other than true tone, the average Joe would never tell the difference. The 12 incher is a very imppressive beast and arguably one of Apple's current best flag ship devices.

Calling the difference between 9.7 ans 12.9 pros devastating is quite funny. And not true. I wouldnt worry over screen quality, they're indistinguishable. Both are Apple's best around and thoroughly amazing. You make it sound chalk and cheese. It isnt.

I think the main issues to concern yourself with is choosing the right size and price for you.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

5. bniu macrumors 6502a

Here's an idea, buy a 256GB config in both sizes with LTE and get a 128GB+LTE Mini 4

You'll get all three sizes!

6. RedOrchestra, May 20, 2016

RedOrchestra Suspended

If you've never owned or used a 9.7 for a period of time, how would you know that.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Your post is a little unclear to me but if you're MBP is dead I'd replace that with another laptop not an iPad. Neither size iPad is a suitable replacement for an actual computer for a student--not even close.

If you're in a position to get both a computer *and* an iPad then everyone is gonna say something different based on their own personal needs--but it sounds like you're leaning toward the larger size. That's a fine iPad but I love my 9.7 Pro--which I use almost exclusively for consumption aside from the occasional work email. The screen is greatly improved and a pleasure to use. I would have preferred more RAM over a camera upgrade that will go unused but that's water under the bridge.

8. Mason Dulemba macrumors member

Mason Dulemba

Wasnt their a rumored iPad Pro Mini (AKA iPad Air with pencil support)

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

9.7 has better screen and camera, but 12.9 has more RAM and USB3 (9.7 has USB2). I'd just pick one depending on which screen size you like better, and not worry about the rest. They are nice to have features, but the difference isn't big enough to base your purchase decision on.

10. ericwn macrumors 68000

So you are saying you have both a 13 and 15 " MBP and just because one is on the way out you need another device. It's the story of people who think a 15" MBP is too heavy and not stylish enough to be seen with?
    Have you tried Word on an iPad by now to have an idea how that might work out?
    Lastly think about keyboards too. The MBP has one of the best. The new ipad have very shallow keys that might be horrible for you to type on, that's really a personal thing. Some folks do prefer the low key travel. I'm just bringing this up because it's the interface between you and the machine that makes it or breaks it.

11. xraydoc, May 20, 2016

xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I disagree with the OP's statement that the 9.7" model is "better spec'd" and more "optimized."

As has been said above, the 12.9" model has 4GB of RAM compared to 2GB and sports USB3 speeds when it comes to data transfer (camera card adapter and USB-C/Lightning cable) and high-speed charging with the 29W AC adapter and USB-C/Lightning cable.

And the screen on the 12.9" iPP may lack TrueTone (or whatever they're calling it) but it does have a significantly higher pixel count, which IMHO makes split screen multitasking all the better - not just physical size-wise but in pixel count, too.

I personally am not at all concerned with the megapixel value of the rear facing camera on something as big as an iPad anyway. Besides, the camera that the 12.9" model does have is perfectly serviceable and doesn't protrude like the 9.7" model does.

I love my gigantic iPad. Wouldn't give it up. I will grab it first over my 13" rMBP every time.

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

You have the bare minimum of options to be able to define it as a "choice". How could that possibly be "devastating"? My god, the first world problems around here.

13. RedOrchestra Suspended

I agree - I just see the iPad Pro options simply as, do you want the large screen or the small screen - done.

14. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

for me i completely agree. for mr average user the specs are so closely matched the only difference is screen size.

15. SaddleSC macrumors regular

I currently own both a 9.7 and a 12.9 IPP and if I could only keep one, it would be the 12.9...I find it to be a much more unique device than the 9.7. It is great for both consumption and creation and the extra screen real estate is very useful when using Pencil-based apps and for multi-tasking with two apps.

I bought it more as a novelty and it now garners the majority of my computing time.

16. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Let me put a little spin on the replies.

Say you love your 9.7" device and someone hands you their iPad mini and you think, ew... This is tiny.

That's how you'll feel about the 9.7" after having and using the 12.9" for a while.

It's a stunning device and a first choice for iPad. Just don't fully replace your Mac with it. Unless your needs are light.

17. drewjonn thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, easy. I might have exaggerated the title a little bit, it's a first world problem **** as we know it lol

I was trying to say that I would miss some new features like the True Tone etc etc. Also it was because I read some lads saying that the iPP 9.7 has better looking display after all. The 9.7" is smaller and maybe easier to optimised so yeah, I personally have never seen the 9.7 myself and the thing is that it is a new release. I just don't wanna go for the 12.9 to see the 2nd version coming at the end of this year.

Yes, I'm not getting the 9.7 after all. So it's now between going for it this weekend or wait for the 12.9 iPP2, which I'm afraid the release date hasn't been revealed.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2016 ---

no, honestly, you didn't read carefully. clearly stated that i need a secondary device to replace my dying macbook, and i decide to get an iPad instead of owning 2 MacBooks. I was only trying to have it more of an entertainment and Word.

18. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

If I would need to start over, I would buy a maxed out iMac 5k with an ipp 12,9".
    But I've got nothing to complain with a mbp 13", Thunderbolt Display and iPP 12.9. And as always with electronics: there is always a new/better/improved version in a few months time. So enjoy and take good care of your expensive equipment. Use the crap out of what you've got and if needs must, be smart* when buying new.

(* I tend to think a basic i5 8gb ram mbp is just as much mbp as a i7 16gb one, which turned out to be a mistake within 6months, I was smarter with the iPad Pro and bought a maxed out version right away. I really enjoy and look forward using it, every day again!).

19. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I think it is unlikely for a 12.9 iPP2 to be released this year. Apple seems to have extended the cycle for updating iPads from 12 months to 18-24 months.

Having said that, I don't recommend buying an iPad at full price anymore. Apple seems to have adjusted their marketing approach to include regularly temporary discounts... at least here in the US.

We're only a few weeks away from WWDC. It might be helpful to wait until then to see what Apple does regarding iOS 10 and the iPad Pro. If there is nothing earth-shattering or even encouraging, then there is no need to rush out and buy one.

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll see an update to iOS announced that will make the 12.9 truly shine.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'd say the chances of the iPP 12.9 being updated this year (2016) is 50/50. But you've got to think what happens if you wait, and there's no update. Then you'd be wondering the same thing all over again -- should you buy the iPP in Nobember-December, or wait until Spring 2017 to see if an update will be released then?

If you buy it now, you'll have at least half a year of owning the latest model. Then if an update is released in the Fall, you can probably just skip that update, and wait until the iPP 3rd gen is released to update to that model.

You have to jump in sometime, or you'll never buy one.

21. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I wouldn't give up the screen size of the 12.9 for any 9.7.
    With that said I the the 9.7 IPP has a nicer display. But I like the 12.9 real estate especially when editing pictures and reading docs

22. kevroc macrumors 6502

12.9 all they. Sure, I wish I had the True Tone Display, but the size of the 12.9 makes it truly unique. Every time I use my wifes 9.7 I think it's the Mini :)

23. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

All of the opinions are completely subjective. Some feel carrying around a 12.9" iPad is cumbersome and defeating the purpose of carrying around an iPad vs their MacBooks. Some love the screen real estate they gained and as you read here, they would never go back. This goes the same for iPhone 6s vs 6s+ and 15" Macbook Pro vs 13" Macbook Pro vs 12" Macbook. If you value portability, the 9.7 is the way to go. If it's not that big a deal, then definitely go for the 12.9" as you really can't go wrong regarding quality either way. Right now you can regularly search out deals on Best Buy and Target, there are people that have saved as much as $200 from Walmart. You can also look at that cellular option and get $200 off which spreads the savings through your contract which gives you data on top.

I wouldn't wait through September October though as some mentioned, you might be disappointed if they don't release anything. Good luck.

24. Serban Suspended

since you are willing to wait for an ipad pro 2....its seems that you are not in a big hurry and you can wait until WWDC to see what iOS10 will bring. It will be more optimises for the bigger ipad pro and some new features, so wait until 13 June to see what it will bring and then choose between the bigger or the smaller ipad

25. FairyCatInPink, May 20, 2016

FairyCatInPink macrumors 6502

FairyCatInPink

Who told you 9.7" iPad Pro has "better" specs? That's kinda funny to hear, because 12.9" Pro has 4gb ram and that's twice of 9.7". Also USB-c is only for 12.9" at this moment. Under current iOS, probably having 2gb ram won't hurt you using any application much, but who know when iOS 10 or further come out.
    I am hearing some people saying on 9.7" Pro when they open multiple website on safari, the reading get slower or some lags. But since I don't have 9.7"(but 12,9"), I'm not sure if it's true or what.
    I don't think either one is "better" honestly, but different strength and weakness to each other, you should be wise enough to pick one which fits YOUR needs.

In my opinion, at this point, which is better about 9.7" and 12.9" is all up to the persons need.
    For me, better camera is a joke on that size, I have iPhone and take most pictures and videos on it, I have mini 4 but even on mini 4 I feel like taking picture with that size of device kinda stupid and funny.
    So, it's not necessary for me to have "better" camera.
    True tone, I'm an artist who digitally paint/draw on iPad Pro, I don't want that true tone thing, but NEED consistent colors which weren't affected by the lights I'm surrounded when I'm drawing on it.
    4gb ram, I don't know, but I open two apps side by side on split screen mode on 12.9", I don't have any problems, even they're two different drawing apps(some Apps are not able to use on split screen though).
    Mobility, as a mini 4 owner, myself doesn't consider 9.7" as much portable.
    Over all, compared all benefits(for MY needs) and inconvenience(for MY needs), I choosed 12.9". I don't care which sold better, because I'm the one who use it and if I like what I have, I don't care rest of the world like it or not. They can have whichever/whatever they want to have, they believe the one fit their needs.