So let me get this straight - sprint

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ZiggyPastorius, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

So since I know you can jail break and unlock your iPhone and use it with any carrier...or atleast I think that because that's how people make it sound...If I get an iPhone for my birthday and use ZiPhone on it, can I then just bring it to my Sprint store (as that is the carrier we use, and it's not really my choice to change) and just ask them to put it on our plan instead of my current phone? Is it that easy? Isn't it illegal? I really want to get an iPhone, but won't if I won't be able to use it..

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's not illegal (in the US at least). There is an explicit block exemption under the DMCA that allows for unlocking cell phones (edit: reference ... the exemption applies to the act of unlocking and doesn't necessarily protect the unlocking software, but you yourself in any event would not be doing anything illegal in the process; the exemption currently lasts through 2009 at least).

It *is* impossible. As has been said millions of times now, the iPhone is a GSM phone. Unlocked, it can operate on any GSM network. It cannot operate on a CDMA network. Therefore, there is nothing you can do to the iPhone's software that will modify it in such a way as to make it work on Sprint (or Verizon).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.