So lets end this iPad 'heatgate' discussion once and for all

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hasanahmad, Mar 27, 2012.

1. hasanahmad Suspended

http://www.macworld.com/article/116...eat_levels_comparable_to_android_tablets.html

[​IMG]

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

best way to end it is to stop talking about it...

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Nah, won't stop the "but but but, mine's different!!!" crowd.... :rolleyes:

or the folks who categorically claim anyone without a problem is an Apple Fanboi...

4. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Unbelievable that someone took the time to gauge the heat between different models of tablets, its a tablet with a much larger battery of course its going to run hotter. I really don't understand why people even made a issue out of it.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

MacWorld, an ideal unbiased source?

That said, extended periods of time playing Batman (UE3), and Osmos, yes it gets warm, no it's not uncomfortable, no it hasn't crashed.

It's going to get warmer than iPad 2, it's simple physics. It's battery has 70% more capacity with the same run-time. That probably equates to near +70% power dissipation. It's going to be warmer, you can't write off the laws of physics.

Not sure why it's a big deal.

6. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

For the record, if you click through you'll see that it's actually PCWorld that did the testing. Macworld only reprinted their story.

7. Radio macrumors 68000

I care less about the heat more so the weight!

It's heavy!

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Exactly, it's a non issue for most.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It was never really a discussion, but rather link bait for a supposed consumer magazine.

11. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

Wow... Those figures are worryingly high.

Its a double whammy this time... Heatgate + Screengate!

12. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

They don't mention what the screen brightness was set at during these tests. 50% vs 100% makes a huge difference in temps. Have you felt one on display at a store? They are toasty warm.

13. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Yeah it's almost unbearable. The extra .11 pounds is making it very hard for me to hold the iPad. :rolleyes:

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It appears that if complaining about non-problems, pseudo-issues, and -gates were disallowed, MacRumors... would be one page long.:eek:

But, then, it wouldn't be the MacRumors we have all come to love.:rolleyes::D

(For the record, I DO love the stuff I can learn here, and the silliness, too.):)

15. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

This is better than the article comparing heat in the iPad 3 to a laptop. Much more apples to apples comparison vs other tablets.

Nice find.

16. urkel macrumors 68030

The "iPad isn't as hot as a laptop" argument drives me nuts. Whenever someone complains about the file system, flash, desktop apps or makes any negative comparison to a laptop then it's "This isn't a laptop dummy, so don't try to compare them". But when someone complains about heat then it's "Laptops are much hotter dummy, so compare it to that".

Anyway, I don't find the heat to be nearly as annoying as the people who can't admit that there is some warmth without instantly going on the defense as if iPad owners are trolling their own purchases. Yes, there's some heat but No, it's not worth downgrading over.

17. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The iPad runs hotter than iPad 2. How much heat is acceptable to you is a personal issue.

About the charging speed. I wonder how long it takes MacBook Air/Pro to charge versus iPad 3. That's my question.

18. batotman macrumors 6502

If its too warm there are only two options:

Stop being a *****.

Or

Put a cover on it.

This myth is likely perpetuated by anti-Apple folks. I used to be one. :D

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

by starting a new thread on the subject. :rolleyes: