Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The home screen reloads happens with Touchwiz. Its kind of a serious bug on what is suppose to be Samsungs flagship phone. You would never see something like this on iOS or WP8. Not even stock Android of the Nexus.

Im not criticizing Android here. Im criticizing Samsung. Android is awesome.

Anyway, I already rooted and have found several solutions: a ROM like Omega, CM9 or 10 or use Titanium Backup to freeze Touchwiz and use Nova or Apex.

Theres no perfect phone. HOX has wifi problems, Nexus bad battery life, SGS3 the home screen reloads and bad wifi for me (it disconnects on its own and then connects again several times a day), etc. These are not hardware problems, but rather software problems, due to Samsung ********* pure android.

Maybe some people havent noticed this, but on touchwiz theres not even a spell checker! I installed CM9 and 10 and on stock android there is. Im talking about the red line that appears under a mispelled word, just like on iOS.

Can someone please tell me why Samsung would do this?? I need a spell checker for emails, notes, etc. Its so stupid from Samsung to do this that just proves my hate for them.

Thats why my next phone will probably be a Nexus.

The reloads happen specially if you have many widgets. The Samsung Weather widget is the one that makes the redraws happen more often. But whats the point of having widgets if you cant have more than 4 or 5 to avoid many screen reloads?

Also let me say stock android keyboard is awesome. Much better than stock iOS. After trying it on CM10 you can see how BAD samsungs keyboard is.

Android has many benefits, but also some drawbacks. Widgets eat battery faster, but also many background processes. I hated iOS multitasking before, but now I really think is the best way to go. If you install many apps on android there can be so many background processes eating battery life without you knowing it.

I also miss the lockscreen iOS notifications, and how they show more información than on Android. Still, iOS is really lacking. It would be awesome if Apple included a swype-like feature on iOS 6.1 or 7.

Android is better than iOS, but iOS wins in some basic stuff: battery, multitasking, notifications, etc.
Android wins in keyboards, customization, the AWESOME back button, widgets, ability to jailbreak (root) easily always (and not waiting months for a jailbreak only to be pointless after the next Apple update. I hated that cat and mouse game), file browser, etc.

Well maybe not but you dont have to use TW either and imo, its not as good as Apex or Nova. But to counter, Samsung would probably not release a phone with a really horrible Maps or bluetooth that dont steam your music without hiccups. iOS 6 has its issues this time around so you cant say you would never see something like that on iOS anymore.

At least you have a quick and easy fix for your problem that doesnt require anything but a App download instead of installing a whole new ROM but for some reason you choose not to use it. There are also other keyboards you can use. I dont know why you arent taking advantage of these things.

I dont have issues with my Wi-Fi either. Stays on till i turn it off manually or by using my NFC tag.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Face it, you are just excited about the newness and sleekness of the ip5. The gs3 is much more useful, ESPECIALLY with google maps! I really don't understand all this ecosystem talk?

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Came back to the IP5 yesterday. Sold the S3 on Ebay in 2 minutes. I previously had an Ip4. The S3 is a nice phone, but I have a MBP and Ipad, so it is nice to be back in the EcoSystem!!!

Just curious, if you don't mind me asking. How much did you get for your GSIII? I switched in June to the SIII, and I'm not entirely blown away like I thought I would be. However I'm going to wait for Jelly Bean which is rumored in October before I make my choice. I think all of the problems I have with the SIII are due to the inconsistencies with the software, and TouchWiz. You have to really tinker with this phone to get it to "just work" like the iPhone. Not sure yet if that's a good thing or not. The screen is massive, but other than movies, and the Chrome app, a lot of apps don't take full advantage of it. They're just blown up versions without added functionality. Sorry for the rant. :cool:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Just curious, if you don't mind me asking. How much did you get for your GSIII? I switched in June to the SIII, and I'm not entirely blown away like I thought I would be. However I'm going to wait for Jelly Bean which is rumored in October before I make my choice. I think all of the problems I have with the SIII are due to the inconsistencies with the software, and TouchWiz. You have to really tinker with this phone to get it to "just work" like the iPhone. Not sure yet if that's a good thing or not. The screen is massive, but other than movies, and the Chrome app, a lot of apps don't take full advantage of it. They're just blown up versions without added functionality. Sorry for the rant. :cool:

Have you considered flashing a custom Jelly Bean ROM?

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Have you considered flashing a custom Jelly Bean ROM?

I have, but I'm an Android n00b, and don't want to brick my phone. Second it seems like daily upgrades(correct me if I'm wrong) would be a big hassle.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I have, but I'm an Android n00b, and don't want to brick my phone. Second it seems like daily upgrades(correct me if I'm wrong) would be a big hassle.

I'm pretty much a noob too but I've managed so far. I understand why you're worried because I still am too but it's worth it and I'm learning as I go along. Yes if you want new features and bug fixes you'll be flashing more often but it depends on the ROM. I'm on Paranoid Android ROM and it's not daily and even if it is I could not flash the updates because the build I'm on now seems perfect.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I was considering the S3 before the iPhone 5 came out. I was lets say bored of iOS and I envied my friends customization of his phone and the multitasking capability it has.

So I tried his Desire HD for a while to get my feet wet in the Android ecosystem and then I tried a Galaxy S3 in a shop. Now admittedly trying it in a shop for 20 minutes isn't going to mean I know everything about the device but at the same time I'd think within 20 minutes I should be wow'd by at-least a few things it could do.

That just didn't happen for me. To me it felt like when you try a linux distribution. It looks nice on the surface but once you actually use it there is this almost hollowness to it like the developers have done only the bare minimum that is necessary to complete a list of objectives and paid little care or attention to consistency or quality.

Many of the apps used different fonts from each other which felt inconsistent and the default Samsung apps were very basic, didn't really look that nice and some just didn't work correctly. I tried the video overlay function which worked quite nice actually but I thought is this really something I'd use? I just can't see it.

I know this sounds totally cliché coming from an Apple user like myself but it didn't feel as good as what Apple is doing. It is hard to put my finger on the exact issue but it's more a culmination of the whole package. I think Android might get there one day where it is consistent enough to be a real competitor for me but right now it isn't.

So in the end I decided to get the iPhone 5 and I don't regret that decision because although I still don't have the customization I'd like, I can just jailbreak it later on (something I've not done since my old iPhone 3GS) and customize to my hearts content while staying within Apples plentiful ecosystem.

And when I say ecosystem I'm not just talking about the range of applications but the quality of those applications and the consistent experience provided by them. Most apps follow the same HIG as apples own apps and it really makes the whole experience feel more cohesive.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Well maybe not but you dont have to use TW either and imo, its not as good as Apex or Nova. But to counter, Samsung would probably not release a phone with a really horrible Maps or bluetooth that dont steam your music without hiccups. iOS 6 has its issues this time around so you cant say you would never see something like that on iOS anymore.

At least you have a quick and easy fix for your problem that doesnt require anything but a App download instead of installing a whole new ROM but for some reason you choose not to use it. There are also other keyboards you can use. I dont know why you arent taking advantage of these things.

I dont have issues with my Wi-Fi either. Stays on till i turn it off manually or by using my NFC tag.

Before rooting of course I tried both nova and apex, but still the home screen reload was there. Less often, but still there.

Like I've said before, the good thing about android is that you can change almost everything. But the bad thing is having to deal with this stupid things.

You haven't told me why Samsung has disabled spell checking. What good is it to buy an android phone other than nexus when these companies disable core stuff of android. It's crazy. Really really crazy not to have this feature, which is another BIG reason why I'm using CM10 instead of nova or apex with the stock Samsung Rom.

And I'm not talking about bad apps, like Apple maps or another one. I'm talking about the core basic functionality of the phone. On the SGS3 you have the home screen reload and the lack of spell checking.

A bad app is not a huge problem. Those two examples are huge problems.

I have no problems in pointing out the problems in either

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Ive no idea why spell checking is left out though using SwiftKey 3 it looks to be working. But you know, im not the best typer when it comes to hitting the right keys when i try to go fast so i look at what i typed before sending it so i dont miss spell check and it it isnt a big deal to me.
I also dont have those homescreen issues you are having.

Screenshot_2012-09-22-18-25-09_zps2f3808bf.png

Last edited:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Maybe you don't have many home screens with widgets? I have six home screens with widgets for Twitter, YouTube, news, calendar, rss feeds and weather, plus many icons.

I've noticed that the Samsung weather widget causes the reloads many times. You could try that plus more widgets and go back to the home screen after web browsing and such.

Or maybe you have the US 2GB version? I have the international one. On XDA there are many threads with people complaining about this bug. Check them out if you want.

With CM10 I have the same six home screens with the same widgets and all and absolutely no reloads.

My conclusion:

The iPhone's biggest drawback: iOS.
SGS3 biggest drawback: Samsung.

I love android. And I really dislike Samsung.

Codeworkx, one of the Cyanogenmod developers, just posted on his blog that he hates his SGS3 and is gonna sell it and buy a Sony experia. This means less development for the SGS3.

I really like this phone, except for those bugs, which could make me go and buy the next nexus if it has a micro SD slot.

I'm not married to any phone :rolleyes::rolleyes:

One thing is clear: no more Samsung phones ever. Actually, I've only had two Samsung products in my life: the omnia HD (which had the famous ****** noise bug on recorded videos) and this SGS3.

The omnia HD was a big mistake, but I decided to give Samsung another chance with the galaxy s 3, since the previous models were so interesting also.

So after buying the phone I find that is lacks spell checking! And that the home screen reloads several times a day! Still, I kept the phone, because I wasn't gonna buy the nexus without SD card, poor battery life and horrible camera. Only good alternative was the galaxy s 3. So I decided to keep it and wait. It has many other positives.

The WI-FI problem? That can happen with any phone, but those two previous issues just proves me Samsung is not worthy of my money and trust anymore. Just that simple.

I'm still gonna keep buying android phones, but probably only nexus.

I've already tried roms, kernels, patches, flashing tweaks like the on screen buttons, etc. So I know a lot about android. I've been researching for the past two years I was with the iPhone 4.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Codeworkx, one of the Cyanogenmod developers, just posted on his blog that he hates his SGS3 and is gonna sell it and buy a Sony experia. This means less development for the SGS3.

I just read his blog and he's saying he prefers his Nexus and uses it as his main phone. The next Nexus can't come any sooner as far as I'm concerned! I love my S3 but tweaking the Nexus wasn't as hard as this.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Maybe you don't have many home screens with widgets? I have six home screens with widgets for Twitter, YouTube, news, calendar, rss feeds and weather, plus many icons.

I've noticed that the Samsung weather widget causes the reloads many times. You could try that plus more widgets and go back to the home screen after web browsing and such.

Or maybe you have the US 2GB version? I have the international one. On XDA there are many threads with people complaining about this bug. Check them out if you want.

With CM10 I have the same six home screens with the same widgets and all and absolutely no reloads.

My conclusion:

The iPhone's biggest drawback: iOS.
SGS3 biggest drawback: Samsung.

I love android. And I really dislike Samsung.

Yes i have the US version. I have 4 homescreens with widgets. I dont use Samsung weather, i use Fancy Widgets. I dont use a Twitter widget, i just use the notification for that. Nothing on Twitter for me is a need to reply right away i just follow most things for info.

Maybe you should try Fancy Widgets. It costs a couple bucks but it is good. I also am using a live wallpaper for my clock starting today(wp clock 2) and it is pretty cool and also costs a couple bucks. No issues with refreshing on either one.

I actually love this phone but i also will be looking to the next gen of Nexus and if i like them , or it...how ever many there are, i will sell my GS3 and get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.