Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chatelaine

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2010
Thanks again for the heads up. the more I look at it the more I like it, pretty clever too to have the "legs" come out from the sides. I also like how I can see it taking the contours of the ipad (as I wished it would) instead of boxing the useful contours that help you pick it up and hold it, and how it leave the black frame uncovered so you can hold it more easily instead of pretty much covering it up like most cases and leaving almost only the screen visible. And the cover seems to fit tightly. Like the second wave of the ipad apps, this second wave of cases such as this one, makes much more sense.

Applesupergeek, happy to help :) Hope it works out for you!

As to where to put detachable covers, I'm hoping the front cover of this case fits on the back while you're using the iPad, the way the Vaja does...

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Why is the OP so hostile to opinions?

Yes, keeping track of things that detach is a pain in my ass. Especially for the things you mentioned.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
...Like I said, I have not used the apple case, so it might not "bug" that much in the end, but I 've used plenty of ereaders with similar flaps and I find them a useless nuisance...

I don't see how the flap on the Apple case is any more cumbersome than the front cover of any hardback book. It anything it's less bothersome, because you can fold it back out of the way. Try that with a hardback :)

Still, you're entitled to your preferences, so how about this detachable cover case? http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0331524

It appears to be designed such that the cover clips onto the back - which prevents it going astray. Nice. Not sure if they make any other colours, though :)

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
OP, does this match your needs? http://www.hardcandycases.com/kickstand-ipad-case.html

Release date June 20 though, I'm waiting to see what it's like too. Wonder if the little fold-out legs will be stable...

No wonder I haven't received my order from ten days ago. The online retailer made no mention of it not being released until June 20 (or I didn't see it mentioned).

I ordered the silver version. I'll let you know how sturdy the fold-out legs are when I get it. See if they can actually hold the iPad up in landscape mode for video viewing instead of just at a typing angle like in the promo pics. Also how easy it is to add or detach the cover, and if it may just be an annoying third wheel when not attached. I really like the concept of the case being tapered to fit the dock though.

yhst-12507765640553_2105_7449922

One thing though is it doesn't stand in portrait mode (edit - d'oh, the dock is how it can stand in portrait mode, not very mobile though), so I'm considering the Scosche KickBACK as an alternative option as its pop-out leg lets it stand in both orientations as well as typing angle. Just use a ZAGG shield for front protection against scratches.

1923.13784.600x400.FINAL_WHITE_WITH_GREY_HORIZONTAL_3.jpg

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
wow, lot's of options suggested, thanks guys and gals, let me take a few minutes to

Why is the OP so hostile to opinions?

Yes, keeping track of things that detach is a pain in my ass. Especially for the things you mentioned.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black... If detachable components are a pain in the ass for you, it goes without saying that it's fine by me if that's how you feel about it. But it doesn't make it a "terrible idea" as you said, because others don't have any problems with the multitude of detachable parts in appliances and objects that we have in our lives. Case makers it seems also do not consider it a terrible idea.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black... If detachable components are a pain in the ass for you, it goes without saying that it's fine by me if that's how you feel about it. But it doesn't make it a "terrible idea" as you said, because others don't have any problems with the multitude of detachable parts in appliances and objects that we have in our lives. Case makers it seems also do not consider it a terrible idea.

I kind of chuckled at this reply. You keep going on about how so many case makers got it wrong, yet bristle when people don't agree with your vision of the perfect case. Kind of ironic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.