So many choices! What should I do?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by adawtrey3, Mar 21, 2011.

1. adawtrey3 macrumors newbie

First let me explain my situation. I recently sold my ipod touch and am currently using a iPod shuffle (older gen). I'm looking at going to university next fall as well.

Now, with the release of the new iPad, i really really want one and do think I could put that to use with both school work and media wise. If i do go to school, my mom has said she'd get me a new macbook pro which would entitle me to a new ipod. I'm not sure which one to get though. On one hand I like that nano for use at the gym. But i like the touch cause it's just so darn cool. and I like the classic because of it's sheer capacity and ease of use.

My problems with the iPod choice though. I'm not a huge fan of the current design of the nano. I liked the older versions better. The classic isn't the easiest for working out with. And if i was to get an iPad, the touch would kind of be useless.

So what i"m basically asking is, should I get an iPad? and if I do, what iPod should I get?

Thanks

2. Alvesang macrumors regular

Alvesang

I'd rule out the classic because it's a little heavy for workout, even though its capacity is pure bliss.

And you're right about a little redundancy of owning both the iPad and the iPod touch. Until I got my iPad, I used the iPod touch for all kinds of stuff on a daily basis. Now that I've got an iPad (and finally, an iPhone, hooray), the iPod touch is "just a music player". But with its 64GB of storage it's still a blast to use, and it's faster to use than a classic (no HDD, therefore a little more responsive).

A nano is the easiest to carry around with. Thanks to the clip of the 6th incarnation you don't even need pants with pockets to equip yourself with it. I personally like that feature a lot. It's limited capacity makes me sync it more often and I'd love to see a nano with at least 32GB of storage. But nonetheless, it is a great iPod.

I guess the size of your media library and your preferences for musical diversity should decide which iPod is the one for you.

I think, I'd go with a nano. It's the most affordable and most practical choice, especially for workouts. And yes, I got used to the small touch screen really quickly.

Sent from my iPad. ;)

3. CraigEvander macrumors newbie

Don't know what are you asking here :p (or better said why are u asking). If you can afford buy an iPad. Useful for all kinds o things and more appealing than anything on the market.

4. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why do you need an iPhone and an iPod? Given that the touch is the same size as an iPhone, getting a touch would be dumb becuase it wouldn't have any extra use and would be just as useable while working out.

iPod classic has most space but really do you have enough music to justify the HD space needs? If you are just using it for working out, load up your workout music and not all of you music. Surely you don't needs barbie girl while working out. Plus the HD will eventually fail due to continual impact.

Nano would probably be best. Small size, decent space, no vulnerable HD. This gen is small so would better for working out but last gen is cheaPer and still pretty small.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Does anyone remember if Apple let you use the Back-to-School promotion credit towards the iPad 1? If they give you the iPod Touch money that you can put towards the iPad, it brings it into a more affordable range in my opinion.

6. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I say absolutely no to the iPad, it is still a glorified large iPod Touch only now with a dual core processor. There is no reason to pick a iPad over a laptop, the laptop would have more capacity, more power, and more things you can do with it.

Furthermore, the Tablet market is far from established and quite frankly they are way overpriced for what they offer, but that is just my opinion. I'm waiting for a price drop myself and waiting to see what the competition offers against the iPad 2.

As for the iPods...
    I'll break it down for ya:

iPod Touch if:
    - you are interested in the app store
    - don't mind pulling it out of your pocket or looking at the screen every time you want to change songs (prefer touch to click wheel)
    - you can manage with lower space than the iPod Classic
    - you can afford the $400 premium for the 64GB version, if you need that much capacity. The 32GB is the best price to capacity wise. The 8GB? I think that is a inside joke, its 2011..8GB is a joke and I can't figure out why the 16GB isn't offered at that price point.
    - want the best screen for viewing video on the go
    - need internet (obviously Wifi only)

iPod Classic if:
    - you need the massive capacity (really essential if you want to carry around a decent amount of video with all your music)
    - need the convenience of the click wheel (able to change songs without looking at it, easier navigation in the car, for instance)
    - don't mind the extra weight
    - like the classic interface vs the nano (5th gen or 6th gen) vs touch
    - don't mind having a smaller 2.5" screen VS the touch 3.5"

iPod Nano (6th Gen) if:

- need built-in radio support
    - you like having a shuffle with a screen (essentially)
    - you love touch navigation vs the click wheel
    - core use will be music (no video support/camera)
    - don't mind looking at the screen for navigation
    - can live with 8GB/16GB capacities
    - want the smallest iPod with a screen
    - don't mind paying a premium just for the small touch screen (after all $120 more would get you a iPod touch 32GB)

iPod Nano (5th Gen) if:
    - want to get the best for your money of the nano line (feature to price ratio is far better than that of the 6th gen)
    - need built-in radio support
    - you like the click wheel of the classic in a smaller form and the ability to navigate without looking at the screen, plus easier navigation in a car.
    - need video support and/or want the camera
    - just need 8GB/16GB capacities

I think the 5th gen nano seems to fit your needs the best, great for the gym, has the ease of use that the iPod classic offers with none of the extra weight, and supports video. Though I do not know what your space requirement is.

Also think the iPod Touch 32GB is a pretty close second simply because you are interested in the iPad. The iPod Touch will run virtually every app that the iPad does.