Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I've never owned an Apple TV but I've used them so many times over the years and there wasn't really too much to complain about.

I just got the ATV4 (my first ever) and this thing is awesome!

I was SO hesitant to purchase one due to everyone's complaining but this thing is top notch.

If anyone wants to legitimately complain about anything it's lack of 4K and re-entering passwords (for cable) everytime you set up an App. 4K will probably come in the *next* version and the password thing can be fixed via software update.

Just thought I'd post a positive thread in case there's someone else out there like me who's hesitant like I was.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
I've never owned an Apple TV but I've used them so many times over the years and there wasn't really too much to complain about.

I just got the ATV4 and this thing is awesome!

I was SO hesitant to purchase one due to everyone's complaining but this thing is top notch.

If anyone wants to legitimately complain about anything it's lack of 4K and re-entering passwords (for cable) everytime you set up an App.

Just thought I'd post a positive thread in case there's someone else out there like me who's hesitant.

nice to see you're enjoying it, I've got mine still need to have a proper play around with it.

from what I got so far I love it, cant wait to set it up properly

Reactions: ghsDUDE

surfnode

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks for your positive thread. Yes, I don't know why there's so many people complaining about this new box of joy. I've not had an Apple TV since I sold my 2nd gen one a couple years ago and have tried a myriad of devices since then.

Since this thing was announced I made it my mission to sell a load of tech so that I can get the new ATV and boy Im so glad I good. The return of having AirPlay again in a house full of Apple gadgets. Being able to use Plex is a bonus however Im waiting for the imminent release of Firecore's Infuse v4.

Enjoy your new Apple TV :)

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
It would seem that our modern "toys" have spoiled many people these days. Some even complain about petty matters like the brightness of the power on LED. No company makes every product perfect, and sometimes it takes a little time to work out a products bugs. All in all I think the ATV4 has a bright future ahead of it.

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA

If anyone wants to legitimately complain about anything it's lack of 4K and re-entering passwords (for cable) everytime you set up an App. 4K will probably come in the *next* version and the password thing can be fixed via software update.

Just thought I'd post a positive thread in case there's someone else out there like me who's hesitant like I was.

I agree! I have minor gripes (no bluetooth keyboard support, no web browser, current lack of apps in app store) but in no way am I disappointed in the device. I own Amazon TV, Chromecast and now Apple TV and I've used Roku and I believe Apple TV has better features and is a much easier player to use than the competition.

J

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

Welcome to the club (owing an ATV 4 and not complaining about it ;))

There's always going to be people complaining about pretty much anything and everything. The rest of us just enjoy what it does and get to look forward to what it will do.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Always consider your sources. Discussion forum sites always have a disproportionate number of complaint/problem threads. Do not simply rely on threads as an indicator of reality.

Reactions: laurim and chiwaw

rkieru

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2015
While I appreciate the want for a positive thread... there is something a bit well... irritating when someone who has never owned an Apple TV comes in and tells those of us who have been supporters for years that our criticisms are invalid.

I'm glad you're now supporting Apple TV, and I'm thrilled that you love the ATV4. I would say I 'like' my ATV4 but there are plenty of issues with the initial launch. Most of them seem to be weird software oversights but the sheer volume of them have me somewhat confounded.

Keep in mind that many of the people raising legitimate criticism of the ATV4 are not saying it's an awful bit of hardware... they are commenting from a place of having owned the ATV3 (and possibly 2, and earlier) and seeing what the ATV4 is currently and wondering what exactly Apple was so busy with that so many bugs / issues made their way through tvOS launch.

Reactions: mattopotamus

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007

We love it! I still have a 3rd gen in the bedroom and it seems so slow now that I'm spoiled by the ATV4.

codelode84

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Tired of these complainers myself. Have these people seen the systems on tvs already? My Samsung tv system completely changed over night taking away features I wanted. Then if it is like my vizio I want get an update after a year. This is for a device 10 times the cost of an Apple TV.

Love the forum with people complaining about high wifi speeds and lack of gigabit either net connect. This forum is filled with comedians.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I love mine so much I got a second one for my bedroom... But I still understand the complaints... Taking away remote app and keyboard support is a step backwards and lame... It also sucks that Siri cannot search for items that have been moved or changed on the iTunes Store... I actually searched for all 250 of my movies one at a time... About 15% of them Siri could not find because they had been relisted on the iTunes Store... Then I had many extended versions of movies which Siri also does not default to even if you own... Siri can also not so search home sharing... So yeah there is a few things to complain about.

With that said I tried using an Apple TV three after using this for a few days... Try going back and then you will appreciate how cool the Apple TV 4 actually is....

As long as Apple fixes the bugs promptly I'm OK..

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
With that said I tried using an Apple TV three after using this for a few days... Try going back and then you will appreciate how cool the Apple TV 4 actually is....
I'm actually having kind of the opposite experience, although it's more related to apps than the ATV4 itself. I watched Netflix and Hulu on my upstairs ATV3 yesterday and was amazed how much better their menu-based UIs are compared to the new ones. Everything is clean and easy to find and no more endless thumb flicking to get where you want. Sigh.

Reactions: spinningblade

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I've never owned an Apple TV but I've used them so many times over the years and there wasn't really too much to complain about. I just got the ATV4 (my first ever) and this thing is awesome! I was SO hesitant to purchase one due to everyone's complaining but this thing is top notch.

Like others, I too am glad you are enjoying it. In my opinion, :apple:TV is one of Apple's very best products. BUT, as much as I love this product (too)- and I've owned every generation- this kind of thing...

...can be fixed via software update.

...is one of the drivers of complaints. EVERYTHING wrong about ANY computing hardware can probably be "fixed via software update." An old Windows PC running the worst incarnation of Vista could "be fixed via software update." Apple Maps at it's worst could "be fixed via software update". Ping. iCloud. Android. The worst websites we've ever visited. The worst software we've ever tried to run. The infamous E.T. game for Atari 2600. etc.

But this is APPLE. Why does anything get out Apple's door with the need for so many fixes "via software updates?" And why do we users need to make excuses for them? They don't need an army of closet marketers who work for free.

Apple has attached the "just works" concept to their brand. The time between :apple:TV3 and this new "4" was almost 4 years. FOUR YEARS! "Just works" is what the Apple faithful want to see... especially after almost 4 years. It's not like this particular device is entirely different than the previous generation.

Does that "complaint" mean that I hate :apple:TV? No, I think :apple:TV is GREAT!!! But why is stuff like this getting out the door with even fundamental issues? I mean, your point about having to re-enter passwords for every app is not exactly a secret gripe, nor one that is isolated to only you... and me. I've seen that gripe for all the years that the "3" has been adding apps that needed cable subscription validation. Do we believe Apple doesn't know about that one? Today, in late 2015? So why is it still an issue that even needs a "fix via software update"?

It's that kind of stuff that motivates the complaints. It's not that many "complainers" are hating on Apple or hating any given Apple product as a whole. It's that Apple sets the "just works" bar very high. So we expect greatness from Apple is every way. While "just works" doesn't mean "perfection", it also shouldn't mean that early adopters need to feel like they are in a beta test group, waiting & hoping that the next software update will make the new Apple product they just bought work like they expected an Apple product TO work. Beta test it BEFORE rolling it out. Maybe the price of absolute secrecy to maximize the "big reveal" drama at launch events is too high?

Last edited:

Tigerstyles

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
I love it! I owned an Apple tv 3 before and this is a dream to use!

But the remote is a bit fiddly and I only have to brush past it and the tv comes on! AHHH

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I'm actually having kind of the opposite experience, although it's more related to apps than the ATV4 itself. I watched Netflix and Hulu on my upstairs ATV3 yesterday and was amazed how much better their menu-based UIs are compared to the new ones. Everything is clean and easy to find and no more endless thumb flicking to get where you want. Sigh.

I agree that Netflix sucks.... But that's Netflixes fault not the ATV 4. Apple Controles the UI in all the old apps. They gave up that control with the implication of the App Store...

Reactions: From A Buick 8

rkieru

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2015
I feel like the remote lacking any sort of directional toggle may be a mistake on Apple's part. Swiping on the remote still feels very imprecise, especially when scrolling through a horizontal list like the Netflix or HBO GO interface.

That may be the only issue I have that cannot clearly be corrected via software. I know some people here commented negatively about all the "Fix by software" issues... and while I agree there are merits to that argument it is far better to have software issues than hardware. Like I said in an earlier post... what upsets me most about the ATV4 is that it doesn't feel as well-thought-out and polished as most of Apple's products. The software glitches that exist are pretty apparent and fairly global. It would be another thing entirely if we were talking about numerous niche-use glitches...

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
If M-A-C-rumors can have a section for non-Apple devices, surely they can have a section for non-Apple haters. All the whining is really drowning out the real issues e.g. a feature that's supposed to work but doesn't. Those are the things that should be discussed, not "I want an 64GB iPhone for the price of 16GB!!!" or "Apple Pencil needs an adapter to charge so I will never buy!!!!".

Reactions: From A Buick 8

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
This is my 3rd ATV and I love this one. It's everything it was advertised to be and then some. The more I've used it and practiced the better it is and knowing how to use it is the key. Many of the complaints I see can be avoided if the system and features are learned. Go to YouTube and search AppleTV 4 and you'll see multiple tips videos that make life a whole lot easier.
The one thing I'd like to see is a keyboard or a remote app for iPhone or iPad that syncs up with ATV to use their keyboards.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I have CBS (via my regular cable subscription) - how do I get the CBS App to work?

They're out of their minds if they think I'll pay again for their App/Service. Is there a way that current subscribers can log in?

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I have CBS (via my regular cable subscription) - how do I get the CBS App to work?

They're out of their minds if they think I'll pay again for their App/Service. Is there a way that current subscribers can log in?
It's not a cable authentication app like the other TV providers i.e. Watch ESPN, FOX Now, etc. It's a streaming service app. Hence the title "All Access". So you can either cough up the $6 monthly to access the perks of having on demand content, live TV if available in your area or make due with the content they have available free on it. Those are your options.

But they DO NOT have an option for paid cable subscribers.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I feel like the remote lacking any sort of directional toggle may be a mistake on Apple's part. Swiping on the remote still feels very imprecise, especially when scrolling through a horizontal list like the Netflix or HBO GO interface.

That may be the only issue I have that cannot clearly be corrected via software. I know some people here commented negatively about all the "Fix by software" issues... and while I agree there are merits to that argument it is far better to have software issues than hardware. Like I said in an earlier post... what upsets me most about the ATV4 is that it doesn't feel as well-thought-out and polished as most of Apple's products. The software glitches that exist are pretty apparent and fairly global. It would be another thing entirely if we were talking about numerous niche-use glitches...

Did you know you can tap the top, left, right and bottom of the touchpad to have it function like an old fashioned switch and move one space at a time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.