Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

414BrewCrew414

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2009
Hey all,

I've recently switched to a mac (best move in my life) and when I transferred all my music I have so many different formats, bit rates etc..... I want to be able to ALL my music the SAME format. I'm a total mac dumbass (sorry for the expression) I want to be able to put everything on my 120gig classic. Any real easy, mac illiterate ways to do this??

Thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey all,

I've recently switched to a mac (best move in my life) and when I transferred all my music I have so many different formats, bit rates etc..... I want to be able to ALL my music the SAME format. I'm a total mac dumbass (sorry for the expression) I want to be able to put everything on my 120gig classic. Any real easy, mac illiterate ways to do this??

Thanks!

Why do you want all the music in the same format? To make it smaller, sound better or what?

Nest question: So it needs to fit inside 120GB. How big is it now? The ratios of the curent to desired size will give to needed compression ratio. Then if you tell us what format it is currently (mostly) in we can see if it's possable to compress it that much. For example if most of the mousic is couurently in a lossless foormat you can comress up to about 10:1 but if it is moste 128K MP3 it is already about as small as you'd want it to be.

How to do it? iTunes will do the conversion, set a preference for the format thne highlight the tracks and right click "convert to.."

But be warned, changing the format always degrades the sound quality

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hey all,

Thanks!

It's possible.

However, you can't make a bad or poor recording sound 'good', if you know what I mean.
Also converting any previous encoded audio to another format will cause more details to be lost.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
It's possible.

However, you can't make a bad or poor recording sound 'good', if you know what I mean.
Also converting any previous encoded audio to another format will cause more details to be lost.

Only if you downsample, for instance re-encoding a 128Kbps MP3 to Apple Lossless will yield a much larger file that sounds exactly like the original.

If your library is in MP3 format, I suggest encoding to AAC at 256 or 320. AAC is a more musically sympathetic codec than MP3. You'll end up with slightly bigger files, but non of your MP3 files will sound worse.

I have a 160Gb Classic that's full of lossless files, it's got plenty of room.

If you're ripping from CD and want quality, go lossless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.