So many iMac's to choose from

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jlseattle, Nov 3, 2014.

1. jlseattle macrumors 6502

jlseattle

Hi, my 2006 Mac Pro died earlier this year. I'm on a Macbook Air at the moment. But I'm looking for a replacement mac that will last as long as my 1,1 Mac Pro did. My big concern is having the display tied into the hardware for a longer lasting machine (one part goes bad you lose both). But regardless here is what I'm looking at:

$2100 - 2012 used iMac 3.4 ghz processor 3 tb fusion 32 gb of RAM and 2gb video card

$2500 - 2013 refurbished iMac 3.5 i7 3 tb fusion drive 8 gb ram 4 gb video card

$3450 - 2014 new RiMac 4.0 i7 3 tb fusion drive 8 gb ram 4 gb video card

As you can see the price jumps higher and higher as I get to the newer iMac's. My goal is to get an Retina display iMac in the next few years. If I got the 2012 or 2013 I would replace it with an 2nd generation RiMac when prices drop and any kinks worked out.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. It appears that the speed difference is negligible between (15% rise between each) so putting the 2014 mac 30% faster than the 2012 (guessing). But I'm not really in it for the speed. I'm looking at the older higher end models incase I do end up keeping it I want it to last 5 - 6 years (why I buy Apple in the first place).

BTW,

My usage will be programming, watching videos, light gaming (WoW, StarCraft, Diablo), photoshop, illustrator, and lightroom (as well as regular user stuff like web surfing +++).

Is there any differences specification wise on the 2012 iMac versus the 2013/2014? OR any major issues with the 2012 that I need to be aware of?

2. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

I have both 2012 iMac 27, i7@3.4Ghz, 3TB FD, 16GB, GTX-675MX, and 2013 iMac 27, i7@3.5Ghz, 3TB FD, 32GB, GTX-780m

They are both fine machines. In general I'd recommend the 2013 iMac because of the 780m GPU.

The 2013 iMac you listed is only 8GB but that can be upgraded later if you want. The GPU cannot be upgraded.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I'm not quite sure why you're comparing those models.

For instance, why not the base riMac vs the 3.5 i7? Note that the riMac comes with either 1TB Fusion or 256 flash without extra charge. I'd prefer the 256, but that's me. In any case all you'd lose is the hyper threading and 2TB of spinning rust, right? for the same price?

4. tom0511 macrumors member

I totally understand the concerns of OP.

There are benchmarks (e.g. http://www.barefeats.com/imac5k6.html) showing that the maxed out late 2013 is only superior in very few categories compared to the base model of the riMac. Price is about the same.

Saying that, if I can get equal or better performance plus a better screen at the same price, I would tend to go riMac.

However, if you say that performance is of no use for you and that the base model of the late 2013 is fine for you, the price difference gets bigger and it all comes down to the question if the 5k screen is worth it to you.

But this is a very individual decision, also depending on personal viewing experience on the riMac (as to be read in multiple threads in this forum).

Hope this helps a bit.

5. jlseattle thread starter macrumors 6502

jlseattle

Thank you all for the feedback. I think the biggest (and after thinking about it I totally agree that this is a personal choice) issue for me is that I would rather not chance having the Retina iMac if I'm constantly at the genius bar with some 1st gen issue (just don't have the time). I think I'll wait until the 2nd gen + (when all iMac's except one base one is Retina like it is in the MacBook Pro line) and cheaper. In the meantime I'll get an older iMac (2012 or 2013 and sell when I upgrade to the new Retina).

6. jlseattle thread starter macrumors 6502

jlseattle

FYI, got new computer and I'm very happy! This isn't the Retina iMac (the 2013 version) but to be honest it is a huge move up from the macbook air. I'm surprised how much better the non-retina screen looks versus the macbook air. I'm super happy and excited in the next few years I'm going to move to the Retina iMac when it is spread across all the iMac line! :D I guess what I'm saying is give the old iMac a chance before jumping off the cliff for the Retina iMac.