So many options, I just need to know where to start!

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Hilton P, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Hilton P macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My exp is zilch, nothing, zero in programming.

Objective: I want to learn how to make apps for iPhone.

Some guides say to learn C, some say learn object c, some say neither are necessary.

I really just want a guide to where I should start, and If learning c first is best then I will.

If c is to be learnt first, how can I practice as I have Xcode.

If there is a book that I can say, gee ****, this book says 1.1 I should start with this, then please let me know. I've got "idiot's" guide to iPhone apps, and am not sure it will assist, and no I am not an idiot, just un learned in programming.

Give me a book title or a online guide or the best teaching method you know and I will appreciate it so much. My preferred method of learning is to use examples.

Thanks all........no doubt you've heard this all before.

Cheers

Hilton from Australia!

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Learn C first.

You can write C programs in Xcode.

When you launch Xcode choose Mac OS X > Application > Command Line Tool > (hit the next button) > make sure the Type is set to C... ARC should probably not be checked, enter a program name for product and your name for the company > (hit the next button) > proceed to write your program in the main.m file.

Book for learning C: The C Programming Language. White cover with a big blue C in the middle.

Learn the first 1/3 of the book or so, and then you should know enough to move onto watching the free Standford iOS lectures on iTunes U that will teach you everything about making iPhone apps.

3. larswik macrumors 68000

I am with ArtOfWarfare on this one, start with C. In my Java class we started with the basics which is C and then into object oriented programming in 1 semester. The class started with 36 people and now we are about 20. All of the people that are left took a previous programming class like C or pascal to learn the basics first so they could keep up.

Learn C on the Mac is a great book which I learned from.

4. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

From what I read, this book has some pretty good reviews, has been recently released, and is up to date as far as Xcode 4 and ARC goes.

http://www.bignerdranch.com/book/objective-c_programming_the_big_nerd_ranch_guide

It starts out teaching C, and assumes no programming experience. I would think this book, along with the iTunes U videos from Stanford would be all that anyone would need to get a decent start.

Good luck, take your time and don't rush...

5. lefooey macrumors member

I second OldMike's recommendations -

The Stanford iOS class (CS193p) has just been refreshed for iOS 5 and Xcode4. And the Big Nerd Ranch Guide (2nd Edition) is also current to Xcode 4. Both give you a good background on where to start.

6. Hilton P thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You

Thanks Miles, Art, Lars, Mike and Lefooey,

I have downloaded this years Stanford lessons, which basically told me if I didn't have any experience with programming, that I needed to learn that first.

Going by the majority, I will start with C.

When I open XCode (i have version 3), I cannot see where I am supposed to do the following as suggested:

"choose Mac OS X > Application > Command Line Tool > (hit the next button) > make sure the Type is set to C."

All I get is the Welcome to XCode popup, and I can't see it there.

Is it under new project?

I appreciate you help, and apologise for not getting it first go.

Cheers Hilton

7. 1458279 Suspended

You might want to start with upgrading to Xcode 4. It's been out long enough and it's stable. Some/most of the books won't be specific to Xcode 4, but you should find plenty of books to cover 4. By the time you get a good handle on C, Xcode 4 will be the standard and you'll already be introduced to it.

Don't get discouraged, it's not an overnite adventure :)

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yes, create a new project. When given options as to what kind of project to create, browse around for the command-line-tool one.