So many problems with my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattreedx, Apr 8, 2015.

1. mattreedx macrumors newbie

I have an Early 2011 MBP which has had various issues over the years.

About 2 months ago it started crashing more than once a day and occasionally needed to be reloaded from Time Machine backups.

Sometimes it is the OS that crashes, sometimes Safari, sometimes Chrome, sometimes Mac Mail...sometimes I don't know...

In my ignorance I thought that maybe the hard drive was just old and full of junk; so I bought a new 512gb SSD to replace the original drive and a 500GB hybrid drive to replace the superdrive while I was at it.

I changed all the drives and booted from a USB Yosemite startup drive to perform a clean install. There was a few glitches but this ended up working ok. So I know have a clean Yosemite OS and was ready to start over with my new super MBP...

However, it seems that was not the problem as immediately everything is misbehaving again and the computer is virtually useless as it keeps restarting every 10mins, crashing programs and generally not working.

I have 2.53 GHz intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks and regards.

Matt.

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

It is (most likely) being caused by a faulty graphics card. Apple has initiated an extended repair program for the 15" models - if that is what you have. If this is the case, take it to an Apple Store and get them to diagnose and fix it.

^ Edit: Scratch that, given your specs are you sure you have an early 2011 model? Those specs match with a mid 2009 model.

3. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I would see a Genius but be prepared to shell out more $$$

They charge 30 just for a consultation

4. mattreedx thread starter macrumors newbie

Apologies, i'm using my wife's MBP which is 2009 and stupidly looked at her specs.

Mine says in the "About this Mac" that it is early 2011 15inch
    2.2.GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1333Mhz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB

Thanks for the info about the graphics card.

5. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

Sounds like you were finally affected by the faulty graphics card there is an extended coverage on 2011 MacBook pros with that issue I would suggest calling apple and speaking with a rep from personal expirence I would try for a mail in repair rather than going to actual store

6. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Where do you live to be charged that?!? I live in Scotland and took a 2 year old iPhone in to check out a battery issue.

Long story short they tried to fix it for free but it had a more serious issue. I did a like for like swap which cost me. No charge for the chat.

7. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Here in the United States I tried to get a consultation for my creaking MacBook, (well it WAS creaking now it's good), and they wanted 29 bucks. I told them to

:mad: