Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoneguru9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
There are so many companies manufacturing smartphone......as a consumer i get confused with this industry industry....just today i learnt that Kyocera have their own smart phones.....i guess i should expect one from Toyota soon....lol

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If Toyota thought it fit within their business model and they could make money off of it, they would ;)

That's the bottom line, companies believe the marketplace has not reached saturation and so they're jumping in. Personally I do think its at saturation and at some point we'll be seeing a shake out of the less financially strong makers.

Carriers have only certain amount of space to carry phones, and consumers don't want to be buried by an overwhelming number of choices. I can't speak to Kyocera, but I only look at a handful of makers when choosing my phone. Apple, HTC, Samsung and if the Nexus model (who ever is the maker of the current flavor)

ppeyton1143

macrumors member
May 19, 2013
agreed, there are so many phones in the market but that's good for the consumer as they get a wide range of choice.:)

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
There are so many companies manufacturing smartphone......as a consumer i get confused with this industry industry....just today i learnt that Kyocera have their own smart phones.....i guess i should expect one from Toyota soon....lol

There are a lot companies making cars as well. When I go to buy a car. I test drive a bunch of them from different companies before settling on the one. Just try the same with phones.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
There are a lot companies making cars as well. When I go to buy a car. I test drive a bunch of them from different companies before settling on the one. Just try the same with phones.

lol I do that too, pisses salesmen off, I love it!

durant35

macrumors member
May 2, 2013

Kyocera has been making phones longer than Apple. Since 2000 I believe. They probably thought the same thing when they heard that Apple, a computer company, was going to start making phones.

phoneguru9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
If Toyota thought it fit within their business model and they could make money off of it, they would ;)

That's the bottom line, companies believe the marketplace has not reached saturation and so they're jumping in. Personally I do think its at saturation and at some point we'll be seeing a shake out of the less financially strong makers.

Carriers have only certain amount of space to carry phones, and consumers don't want to be buried by an overwhelming number of choices. I can't speak to Kyocera, but I only look at a handful of makers when choosing my phone. Apple, HTC, Samsung and if the Nexus model (who ever is the maker of the current flavor)

Actually i think its already overwhelming.....in fact nowadays whenever i want to by a smart phone i just focus on the named brands like Samsung or Huawei
I would actually be skeptical to buy a phone manufactured by Toyota.....i think its brand issue.....its the same same way that i only trust Sony for manufacturing Radios and nothing else

----------

agreed, there are so many phones in the market but that's good for the consumer as they get a wide range of choice.:)

True.....but maybe we are abit spoilt for choice more than we can handle.....frankly i think the varieties in smart phones enables consumers with low budget to have a taste of using smart phones by purchasing the cheaper version

----------

Kyocera has been making phones longer than Apple. Since 2000 I believe. They probably thought the same thing when they heard that Apple, a computer company, was going to start making phones.

hehehehehehe....that's definitely food for thought....but let me ask you a question typically from the consumer side 'Between a kyocera Smart phone and a samsung phone or Kyocera Printer and Toyota Printer (hypothetically) which would you pick as a consumer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.