So many to choose from...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SickSquirrel, Mar 9, 2016.

1. SickSquirrel macrumors newbie

I love my new iPhone 6S but sometimes it's bulky to carry. I began looking at the Apple Watch online last night. I understand 28mm is the size of the watch. The rest? I'm new to Apple so am confused which to choose.

I want to have a phone plus internet access. A calendar is fine but Notepad will work.

I know I'll need a charger and stand, a different band if I choose, and earphones. That it?

What specifically should I look for without tons of bells and whistles? I saw a refurbished $400 model for $329 but just because the price is right doesn't mean it has what I want

2. KST87 macrumors 6502

KST87

The watch sizes are 38mm and 42mm which is based on the actual screen size. It's weighs heavily on personal preferences. You will have to go in a store to try them on and decide. 38mm sport is 349, 42mm sport is 399, 38mm Stainless Steel is 549 and 42mm Stainless steel is 599. Are you a sport kind of person looking for a watch to match your phone or a more lavish one to go with just about everything. I think they all can be dressed up or down, you can choose from a wide assortment of 3rd party bands on EBay, Amazon or Alliexpress.

Apple Watches need your iPhone to work yes they can work via wifi but I have yet tried that. There is a thread or two one for females that are talking about bands and protection. Check out mixyourwatch.com

3. sam.mcneill macrumors newbie

All the watches are exactly the same on the inside regarding function, apps, processor power etc... So all you need to decide is 38mm or 42mm and which colour you like best.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually the 42mm has a larger battery and generally longer battery life. Also the 42mm has a higher resolution screen at 312x390 with the 38mm at 272x340.

Apple "...A 42mm Apple Watch typically experiences longer battery life...."
    http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

5. nicho macrumors 68000

With the proviso that it's not night and day between them and in typical usage most people will see no difference except a bigger number on the screen when they put it on charge every night.

6. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Yeah the battery isn't a big issue considering you'll have to charge it pretty much every night no matter what.

Basically it boils down to price and if you want a sapphire screen, which is more scratch resistant. Other than that it's just what suits your own personal style.

7. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I suggest you visit Apple.com and do some real research yourself. You don't seem well informed about what the product offers.

8. SickSquirrel thread starter macrumors newbie

To all but Defender, thank you. I came here after Apple as it was confusing. Now I see the color and size (size matters) are the factors.

To Defender, screw you. I came here seeking help from folks who kindly provided an answer.

9. nicho macrumors 68000

In his defence (no pun intended) I think he may have been referring to you saying you want a phone plus internet access, a calendar and a notepad. And that your phone is too bulky to carry. That suggests you want to replace your phone with an Apple Watch.

He maybe suggested you do more research because if the above is true, this is not the device you are looking for. It will not replace your phone. You must still take that with you for phone calls. It also provides limited functionality of the other things with a phone and almost none on its own.

Eg: What do you mean by Internet access, as it has no browser or standalone cell radio. It can connect to a known wifi your phone has previously joined, but not the type where you join by clicking a radio button accepting t&cs etc.

The calendar provides basically read only access, with no ability to edit and only able to add things via Siri.

There is also no notepad.

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Thank you. I feel the OP is greatly uneducated about what the Apple Watch can do for them. Clearly the thousands of threads on this site don't even provide the info he/she needs. Then - I get slated for giving the most basic of advice...use the company website.
    I guess the nasty comment pointed toward me proves there is some kind of issue more than just lack of knowledge. Perhaps education in general is the reason OP can't just look up a in depth review on YouTube, for example. Notepad. I'm not wasting any more of my time with this one...