Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
So I've got a desktop I just built a bit ago,
C2D 2.66GHz, 8GB RAM, dual 250GB 7200RPM HDs, 512MB 8800GT, DVD-RW

It's a powerhouse and I use that mainly but I need to get a mac laptop I was originally thinking blackbook or base MBP but now I'm considering either the 80GB air with the DVD drive or base MBP, both $1800 with education discount and a free 8GB touch. (or possibly just get a 16GB iPod with the air now and get the DVD burner later on)

So basically I don't need a powerhouse laptop. I just need it for when I go on some trips, when I'm home from vacation from school (5 weeks a year so not much) and then group orjects and I might take it to class once in a while.

I'm a tad bit worried about not having a DVD drive built in, although I really don't use it on my laptop too much but on trips I do watc hDVDs once in a while, but I can just rip them in VLC and toss them on a flash drive too which is easy enough, my house is wireless and so is my entire campus so I can live without ethernet.

What would you guys do?

PS: I'm also a business student and MAY need to use some windows only apps in the future but have yet to do so and I could put bootcamp on the 200GB MBP HD but I wouldn't on the Air 80GB

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
If you want to get out of it cheap, go for the middle of the line MacBook. They are more then good for what you want. (Not much more than note-taking and IM in class, I hope.)

MBA is overpriced for what you get. It's only smaller and lighter.

MBP is a bit much for 5 weeks as main computer and note taking.
Although it does have some nice features. The difference between the MacBook and MacBook Pro is like a Toyota and Lexis. Same company, more features.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
Well I'm just thinking that I really don't need the power & features of the Pro, I'd like them sure but have no need for them. And I do have an older windows Laptop (Latitude D600) I can have XP on for class, so I dont even need XP on it and I think I could do bootcamp on external drive.

At this point I am leaning towards the air, just because I can afford it and I like it more than the macbook.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I would choose the MB or MBP over the Air. The lack of expandability in the Air just doesn't work for me.

DarkRevenant

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
i think a lot of us try to switch our needs to suit the air instead of having the air suit our needs. the air is for a very small niche of people, otherwise it doesnt make sense to have an ultra portable, not upgradeable lesser laptop.

i think you should go for a macbook, a macbook pro seems like its too expensive for only 5 weeks of usage, and you have more power in your other computer. the air is just as expensive but not as good as a macbook, and you dont need the portability at all. get a low or mid range macbook is my advice.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
Wel...
I just used the air for about an hour or so, I watched an HD video from quicktime (Roger Waters in 720p), did a video chat in iChat, surfed the web, installed all the updates (10.5.4, firmware etc) and it never got hot or loud at all. Thats the kind of stuff I use it for, and its nice because I will be taking it to class/ group meetings occasionally and also back and forth to my girlfriends place pretty often. (she's got the better place this year so i'll want to have a computer just to surf, etc when I'm there) so at this point I'm leaning towards that.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I've had one (or more) of each. It sounds like you're leaning towards the Airs form factor which is nice for traveling. Contrary to what others feel, the weight and thinness do make a difference and it looks like you've already determined the Air can accommodate most of your needs. I've barely used my Superdrive so waiting for that shouldn't be a big deal. My Air has been my primary computer since purchased in Feb. and I've found its limitations are overshadowed by its portability.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
I Think I'm onboard with you, and like I said, I've got a nice Desktop (and a backup older Dell) that I can always use to share my DVD drive if/when I need it until I get the super drive, which will probably be this fall semester, I'm just not in a rush to get it.

!on

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
i'm sorry, i laughed so hard when i saw mb air. smells like 'proof of concept' to me. ok, so they made it. now let normal service resume.

personally i'm dismayed that the smaller mbp's are disappearing. i'd like to see maybe a 10" version with the smaller keys but retaining connectivity, processing power & big HD space.

i'd be too scared to take a mb air out for fear of bending or snapping it, or trashing the screen.

15" mbp is plenty portable!

ViperrepiV

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
I would say MBA. It's definitely not slow, and if you're not running photoshop 24/7 rendering ****, you will be fine. If it is for trip and lounging around, the air is where it's at. Trust me, you will not regret it. If you dont really need the power, then go with the luxury.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
The MBP if you want what it provides, but I'd say a Sony TZ (with Fresh Start), SZ (if you want a useful lightweight inbetween teh Air and the MBP as opposed to an 'ultraportable') or Lenovo X300 instead of the Air. No unnecessary compromises, no issues.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
Well I don't like sony, waay to proprietary and I just don't like how their software operates. The X300 is legit... but have you looked at the prices?? Screw that, I'd get it if the price was anywhere on par with the air, but it starts at like $2500 vs. the $1700 for the air. Like I said I very RARELY use an optical drive or Ethernet on my laptops I use them portably with wifi almost exclusively.

Also I want a Mac, I've got 3 PCs with XP, Vista, and Ubuntu so I'm all set.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Get a Macbook. You can watch DVDs and pretty much do anything on it except for the high end things that your desktop can already.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
Well I can also do pretty much anything on the air too, and I'm only going to rip DVDs on my desktop anyways (8GB RAM and a 2.66GHz C2D with a desktop optical drive is waay faster than any laptop can rip DVDs)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If you have even the slightest thought about installing Win on your Mac then the MBA is NOT the laptop you want. Maybe the next version, but that probably won't be announced until Aug or Sept.

keltorsori

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
If you don't need the HD space or more than one USB slot, go for the Air. It's a beautiful piece of kit and at $1499 for the refurb, not a bad deal. Not to mention every pound counts when you're hauling it around

chazz123

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
you should get the macbook, its in the middle of MBA and MBP, its not a powwer house and not an overpriced.. whatever it is. its rater small and only 5 pounds. if that worries you than get a SSD from samsung it takes almost half a pound off the wieght:D goodluck

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
Well if I'm going to get a macbook, I'll spend the extra money, cause I can afford it to get the pro, because the pro is only .4lbs more so I'd either want that or the air. But the air is so nice and light and its got enough power for me like I've said so I'm pretty much set with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.