So much wasted potential!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by darthbane2k, Jun 3, 2014.

1. darthbane2k macrumors 6502

sigh!
    Another WWDC Keynote passes and no mention of opening Apple TV up to developers.
    Why are they wasting the potential of this product?

2. DuffMac macrumors newbie

Agree,

They should have asked the developers to start making the apps ready for a upcoming app store.

Every year is just another with apple tv. just a hobby.

3. charlien macrumors regular

I installed PlexConnect on my stock ATV and since then could care less what Apple does to it, as long as it doesn't break Plex. That group has done a lot of work.

My Roku has "apps" and they all just suck money out of your wallet for basically the same content. It is disconnected somewhere.

4. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I really thought the improvements to iOS and OSX looked like they could easily be pushed to the AppleTV.

Especially the Spotlight/Searching. Perhaps they are still in talks but would have been nice to see some update to the UI.

5. receiveyoues macrumors newbie

good time,thought the improvements to iOS and OSX looked like they could easily be pushed to the AppleTV[​IMG].

6. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

I disagree. I think they *are* asking developers to start making their apps ready for an ATV app store, but in a way that doesn't require them to announce the product yet.

The vast majority of apps they'll probably sell are games (there are only so many channel apps we need or want), and the one thing that all iOS games need is a new way to control them that isn't touch. Enter last year's MFi standard for game controllers. I consider that step one. They're working the kinks out of non-touch interfacing with iOS apps, and they're doing it on the sly.

Next, they improve the graphics capabilities of apps by giving them direct access to hardware, thereby improving the quality of gaming in current hardware (granted, it's for A7 I believe, but we can assume any new ATV will sport an A7 or later variant). This little product, supporting games with even better graphics capabilities than the current devices support, will sell like mad and provide gaming in the living room to a huge swath of the population that either doesn't own a console, or never turns the one on they have. 20 million ATVs already sold, with no gaming, one way further into the living room is gaming, they just need to do it right without going head to head against the big guys.

They're going very slowly, I fully agree, but these steps are definitely moving them closer to opening an ATV app store, without making any official ATV app store announcements. If they discover any blocks along the way, they simply don't take the final step, and given they've announced nothing, they lose nothing and aren't considered a company that announces things, then either 1) never releases them, 2) releases them stupidly late, or 3) pulls their support for the product not long after release (any of these sound familiar?).

7. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

It would be really nice.

I only use my Apple TV for video podcasts and the rare music library and airplay sessions. That's it.

8. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

If (and that's a big if) Apple is planning on launching an improved ATV with app store this fall, odds are that they're working secretly with a handful of trusted partners to pilot the proposed APIs, etc., so that there are a few new channels/apps announced along with the ATV changes, at which point the API will be opened up to the whole development community. Not dissimilar from an iPhone or iPad announcement where a new feature is unknown outside Apple and its partners before the announcement (e.g., the M7 co-processor in the latest iPhone and iPad models).

This gives them time to focus on what could be considered a closed beta to iron out the details and squash bugs, while giving a big "boom" at the presentation when they're ready to go public.

9. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

This, I think they are waiting for the hardware release and then you will see the announcement.

10. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Movie and tv rights are a huge mess that does not seem will be overhauled anytime soon. Unlike the music industry, movie/tv studios actually cut their noses off to spite their faces. At the same time they make billions from streaming and digital sales, they fight againt it. They make it very hard to access content. Limit what streaming companies can access per market etc.

case in point: Netflix has been saving the studios collective assess for years now by buying and making available entire seasons of shows to customers. Unlike what cable companies do with syndicated shows where they only buy a certain selection of previously aired shows. Buy some studios still fight againt netflix but buying up rights to movies/tv series and sit on them just to not let netflix get them. STUPID!!!

For the Apple TV to be sussful it will need content. And an easy way to access this content. The constant authentication that we current have is annoying! That needs to change ASAP.