So much wrong in this...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by carrako, Mar 7, 2012.

1. carrako, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

carrako macrumors regular

Anyone see this post on 9to5google? http://bit.ly/zZMAbk

Quote:

"Samsung just sent this over for fun. I will say one thing: the screen on the Galaxy Note at 5.3 inches (284 PPI) has more PPI than the iPad Retina display (264PPI). I’m sure a bunch of experts will compare them in coming days.
    One thing omitted from the above: You can put a Note in your pocket."

wait...does he really try to compare a 5.3" notes 284ppi vs a 9.7" 264ppi iPad? and wait... you put the 10.1 note in your pocket? Very interesting comparison...

2. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

If you're on the defensive about your product, you've already lost.

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

So by that logic the 326dpi iPhone 4 beats the Note?

5. cotak macrumors regular

Those are some valid points.

When will Samsung copy the I am a Mac I am a PC ads and do a I am a Note I am an iPad ad?

6. carrako thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh indeed. Nothing against him, Im just trying to understand how that comparison can even be made. a 5.3" note is not the 10.1" note

7. Jarson macrumors regular

Jarson

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Android? Nah, thanks.

8. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

He forgot something running two apps side by side on the 5.3" note you need the s-pen to hit the right spot. But does it come with a monocle so you can read the text?..lol

I didn't know John C Dvorak was writing for 9to5Google.

I have pinpoint accuracy on my ipad with my Adonit Jot Pro but no pressure sensitivity yet.

9. Lansing macrumors newbie

SOON

10. Zenteeric macrumors member

11. Signor S. macrumors member

iPad: Hey Galaxy Note want to discuss specs?
    Galaxy Note: Sure!
    iPad: To bad you already lost.
    Galaxy Note: What, but I didn't have a chance!?!
    iPad: Exactly.

I'd rather have a device I can use for more tasks than caring about fitting it into my pocket. That's what an iPhone is for.

12. mac jones macrumors 68040

There's some pretty strange thread titles going on.

Keep up the good work :)

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Post of the day :D

14. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Aww, I guess 9to5Google isn't going to approve my comment about the iPhone having 326dpi. Ah well :D

15. Stefx73 macrumors regular

The viewfinder on my digital videocamera has a higher dpi than any tablet....

16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I'm sure it does. Yield rates on displays are based both on DPI and display size. It's easy to make 300dpi screens that are only 1" in size if you have a 1 in a million chance of a dead pixel in manufacturing.

The iPad screen is over 3 megapixels in one LCD. If there was a 1 in a million chance of dead pixels they could never make a single one without dead pixels.

That's why it was possible to make high DPI phone sized screens a couple of years before it could be done at tablet size.

17. Yujenisis macrumors 6502

...But, greeting cards with personalized messages!

18. cotak macrumors regular

You realize there's a galaxy note 10.1 right? That's actually what the specs where being compared with. It doesn't fit in the pocket, no, but it's far from losing in specs to the "new ipad".

You should go play with the note 10.1 before you decide it's worse than the new ipad.

19. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The PPI comparison quoted in the OP was about the 5.3" Note. The Note 10.1 has a 1280x800 screen at 149 PPI.

20. FlamesfanElite macrumors newbie

I think the people who made that post are blind. Apple clearly demonstrated image and photo editing today in the keynote -.-

21. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Why is it that Apple fans have to be so defensive about their products, in this day and age? I could kind of understand it when Microsoft was king and Apple was a niche for fanbois, but now? There are some cool features on the Samsung - not sure why the reaction to it here. I personally am replacing my iPad 1 with a 64GB Verizon LTE model but that doesn't mean there aren't some things done better on the Samsung.

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Probably for the same reason Android fans join an Apple forum.

hmmm.

23. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Other than the Wacom Digitizer what does it have spec wise on the ipad?
    The ipad have bluetooth and other pressure sensitive stylus' coming out.

IR for home theater? Who the hell uses direct ir for a home theater? I use the ipads and iphones wifi to control lights, tv, ac and more. Not to mention its cheap! IR sux

The note 10.1 doesnt even have a place to carry the s-pen. Now thats a joke!

The mouse support is advantage android has over iOS. You can use a mouse on the iPad but you must jailbreak.

24. cotak macrumors regular

Tada!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/07/new-ipad-competition-specs/

As for the bluetooth pens. Yes something 3rd party and not from apple is going to do great. And when Apple decides to add it's own pen and disable the 3rd parties what are you going to be left with? A small cylindrical paper weight? Finally, it's a bluetooth pen which means you have to remember to charge it and it will die on you. All in all it's more of a hack than anything else.

Samsung not putting a place for the pen is a bit of a head scratcher. I am sure that will be rectified in the future. As for now few people carry a tablet out in the wild without a case so one just need a case with a slot for the pen.

Personally I think by offering a new product that's improved only based on a hardware bump is playing into the hands of Android device vendors. That's an area they can easily out pace apple.

25. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

The new ipad has bluetooth 4.0 so its possible to have a device that only needs to be charged every six months. But there is also another pen that uses high frequesncy sound to do the same thing and battery life is robust on that too.

The specs are on the note are on keel with the ipad 2.

The ipad has something Android tablets do not have great apps. Android phones have good ones but the tablets are just stretched phone apps.

I do not think the note is a bad device but the lack of LTE, Low Res Screen, 3mp camera, and bluetooth 3.0 is not beating the ipad 3 in specs.