So, my 15inch MacBook just got stolen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TWasArroundHere, Aug 24, 2011.

1. TWasArroundHere macrumors newbie

Hey All.
    So I wanted some advice. Someone broke into my house yesterday, and robbed me. They got my 15 inch macbook pro, two ipod touches, Apple TV and my xbox. Made out pretty well. Now, my renters insurance is paying for all of it, but I had a question.

Right now, so I had a computer, I went out and got a 300 laptop from best buy. Basic computer- Windows 7, Word, and internet. Just so I have something to work with.

But you know I want another MacBook. I'm gonna go for a 13 inch Pro this time, because the insurance company only gave me 1300 for my old one.

BUT- should I wait? Are the pros coming to then end of their product cycle soon? Or should I just buy one when I get the check?

What would you suggest?

2. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

It really come down to if you really need it.. or can you wait for the next MBP which could be next week, or could be next year.. nobody really knows.

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

the pros were just released in feberaury and we wont see a new macbook pro until atleast early 2012. its up to you if u want to wait.

theres absolutly nothing wrong with buying one now

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Have your rental insurance changed to replacement cost, not actual cash value. It's usually only a few dollars difference, and they pay to buy a new item in full.

It won't help right now, but it will in the future.

5. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

That is unfortunate man... I wouldn't wait to replace it.

Have you tried to "search" for your MBP via GPS?

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I would get one now.

Do you think you'll need more than what's offered now? If not, then it doesn't make any sense to wait.

Right?

7. TWasArroundHere thread starter macrumors newbie

GPS?? They have that?
    Can you tell me more?

I called Apple and they said theres no way to track it.

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

There is no GPS; he's referring to programs that run in the background and, when your macbook is logged on to a wifi connection, it logs the location and broadcasts it to your account online.

Prey is one of them (had it on the old one, I'm sure it still works actually...) and there are some others.

It would probably work in this situation if the people don't immediately wipe the HD or install a new one.

It would be stupid not to but you never know, you might get lucky (in the future of course).

10. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

That's awful, I'm sorry that happened to you. Where do you live? Were you home at the time?

As for buying one now, I'd say go for it. The current ones are extremely powerful and it will probably be a while before the update.

11. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

What ^^ Young Spade said.. Sorry for the false hope! :eek:

Did the insurance cover the other items, as well?

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well it is still being tracked, if he had it anyway, and they're on Wifi, which they probably are.

If it were GPS, you'd have the same results unless they're simply deleting files and prepping the Craigslist sale.

13. TWasArroundHere thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, they covered everything.
    I'm scouting Craigslist allready to see if anything turns up. If I see one that I think is mine I'm gonna offer to check it out, go look at the serial number and take it from there....

14. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Make sure you have the receipt and some form of identification showing that the laptop is yours. And take pictures of the guy holding it AND of the serial.

Play it off like (I'm just getting a feel) or whatever and then get the police involved.

Good luck.

No. Actually, I don't know; if they can track and see what laptop has what ID, I guess you could do something to it from their servers, however, you'd have to take into account how you are going to go about listing something as stolen.

People could simply state their computer was stolen when they sold it through Craigs list and the other person could have no way of knowing it wasn't or proving that it wasn't either.

16. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

If you find it, have police officers go with you and stay in the background during the transaction. My brother found his stolen $400 Dell on Craigslist and took some cops with him, "bought" it back, then they arrested the guy right there on the spot. He got his purchase money back and his laptop, and the other guy got 12 yrs in jail b/c he had a gun with him.

17. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

18. GuruBhai macrumors newbie

APP for same

The other day i read some article which says, there's an APP you can install on your MBP.

As soon as some one tries to connect to your mac, the camera will click the picture and send it to your registered e-mail.

19. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

20. jondob macrumors member

Won't be a refresh of the Pros until 2012 so go with the base 13, its a very fast machine, you won't be disappointed

21. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Sorry to hear you got burglarized man, that's terrible. Makes you wish we'd go sharia on those filthy thieves - chopchop, off with their hand. Should teach them a lesson for the future I think...

Anyway, the 2011 13" MBP is an absolutely LOVELY little thing. I have it myself, it's cute as hell, and absolutely powerful enough for most every modern-day computing tasks people in general have need of. You may want to get its memory bumped up to 8 gigs however (not through Apple though because that'd cost you more than a hand, more like an arm and a leg! :D)

The Intel GMA 3000 video has been knocked in some circles, but the OSX driver is highly optimized so it gives much better performance than in windows. It plays back video well, and it even handles a spot of gaming here and there if one adjusts the graphics settings appropriately.

I wouldn't expect an updated MBP line until Intel releases new processors, and there are no notebook chips on the horizon. The only thing immediately on the horizon is socket 2011, and that's bleeding-edge performance six and eight-core chips for workstations and servers.

So, sometime first half of 2012, most likely. That's a ways off. Not sure how comfortable you feel with a 300 buck stopgap laptop all until then, but it's up to you of course.