So my 8600m is just now crapping out...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tee349, Oct 17, 2008.

1. tee349 macrumors newbie

Hi forums. Well, my Macbook Pro is finally biting the dust. I'm getting the graphical distortion and my external DVI is starting to fail too, so it looks like i've got the problem exactly described in the recall.

My question is, does anyone know how they technically fix this issue? Do they replace the whole chip?

And with the new MBP's out, how long do I have to get this repair done? What if they run out of replacement chips?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They replace the entire logic board. Keep in mind that they were selling those MacBook Pros until this week. They have replacement parts and Apple/nVidia is happy to supply them as well.

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

it's not like the 8600 is no longer being manufactured.

they will have plenty of chips available.

as said above, logic board replacement is the only way to go.

4. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

if i heard correct they are replacing it them with the exact same logic board so it will probably fail on you again and that time you will be SOL, maybe now is a good time to get it repaired then sell it? Or am i wrong?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The replacement logic boards would hopefully have a newer revision of the 8600M GT. I don't see much of a reason to sell it unless you don't have AppleCare.

6. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

If you read the articles linked in the thread about the faulty chip, you'll see the people who did the investigation said they are all bad, they will all fail eventually. (8600). So I would be surprised if they are going to replace them with the same faulty part.

I'd ask to speak with a tech to find out what they tell you. Really, they should have just issued a recall instead of hanging you all out to dry... waiting for your machines to fail. They are just holding their breath, hoping that some of you will not use your machines very much, will never game or turn it on and off too much. (shaking head)

I feel bad for all the people who are going to buy these second-hand.

7. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

It's starting.

I'm just wondering if this could be a video card issue or what.

I usually leave my computer on for a while seeding out some open source stuff. (I'm a believer! lol, except for the OS)

Sometimes - Not all the time - when I wake the display, I get a blueish tint. When I take a screen shot and view it after the tint is no longer, it doesn't show it. Video card issue or am I going nuts?

Also when my MBP was new, I got the vertical stripe issue once. It wasn't happened since.

8. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I'd be inclined to put it through some vigorous testing - turn it on and off, game on it, etc. In other words, don't baby it.