So my adium doesn't like talking to people on appear offline

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DAAAAAAAVE, Dec 1, 2008.

1. DAAAAAAAVE macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

This is really annoying. A lot of my friends like to appear offline and then they talk to me but if i don't keep the conversation activity up (e.g. take a 5 min break or something) it tells me that messages can't be delivered because they are offline when i know they aren't (because they are still talking to me). Is there a way to fix this or is this just an issue with adium?

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Only "Fix" is to get them to stay "Online" The appearing offline, is used for a reason, to not be bothered while online. That way, you can see who's around, without having to talk to anyone.

3. mcnicks macrumors regular

Do what I do. If somebody chats to you while they appear offline, tell them to #### off and then block them until they apologise. The whole point of instant messaging is presence, and presence is a quid pro quo: I agree to reveal information about my availability to you on the condition that you agree to reveal information about your availability to me. Once one person breaks that deal you get into a tragedy of the commons that ruins the usefulness of instant messaging for everybody.

If they don't want to be 'present' then they can send a bloody email.

4. niklot macrumors member

i know some girls who dont want to appear as online cuz they dont want to chat with some stupid guys, well why dont they block em then?.. i dont know maybe its the same problem as in facebook they just want to have as many "friends" as possible... anyway it still sux if some offline guy writes an if u dont reply instantly you wont b able to reply...

5. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

alot of my friends appear offline to avoid people. i tell them to come online and they apologise and do. was just wondering if there was a fix

6. Yuppi macrumors regular

Yuppi

I thought that has been fixed in the most recent Adium?

Version 1.3.2 (10/9/2008)
    SVN Revision: [25330]
    Updated to MSNp15 via libpurple (from MSNp12 via msn-pecan)
    Full offline messaging support

7. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

Thankyou for that. I stupidly assumed that adium would update itself. I will download the new version now.