So my Canon Optura 20 just died....any decent replacement?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Apr 29, 2007.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I've had my cam for 3 years and it's been great to me. Today I was shooting and it just died. I tried replacing the little CR2025 battery, but it didnt change anything. I hadnt dropped it or anything-the cam just stopped working.

It wont recognize the battery or charger and on top of that my tape is stuck in it. :mad:

Soooo...are there any decent replacements out there $450 or less? Yes, I'd love to get a HC7 or HV20, but that's impossible at this time.

I'm looking at the panasonic gsseries b/c of the 3ccd or either a sony hc40. Are either of those worth getting? I'm not a pro so please no pro recommendations. I need one within the next two weeks b/c I have a summer missions trip i'll be at for 6weeks and I plan on producing some vids as well as capturing the summer.

Well, if anyone can let me know that'd be great. My main things I need are accesory shoe, lanc, headphone jack, mic jack...and decent quality footage. I'm only interested in sony, canon, or panasonic.

2. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

3. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

You might try sending it back to canon for repair. The reason I say this is that Canon is very good about standing behind their products and their customers in my experience. I had a friend who sent back her Powershot S1 camera, and they told her there would be a minimum charge of $100 or something. Well, apparently they couldn't fix it, so they sent her a refurb powershot S2. Maybe its worth a gamble?

4. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

great idea...i'll call canon

5. ukyman macrumors newbie

optura 20

Looking to purchase Optura 20 for parts. I have one that needs a zoom
    switch housing. Email me if you have one that is inexpensive. Thanks.(theshumylos@wowway.com)

6. jbardeen macrumors newbie

Same problem

Did you ever find out what was the problem with your Optura 20? I am having the same issue. Canon told me that they wouldn't be able to fix it for less that $200.

7. kcdude macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat with my Elura 40mc...$180ish to repair. I am going to buy a new FS100 when it comes out next month...flash based so I can get rid of the tapes and share flash memory with my G9 P&S camera. $399 street price.

8. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

I didn't actually, but I just picked up a Panasonic GS250 a few weeks ago for a really good price used.

9. jbardeen macrumors newbie

Stupid me. I forgot to replace the backup battery. Since I replaced it everything has worked fine.