So my digital picture frame exploded....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, Jul 9, 2008.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Well not quite, but I think the battery is about to. I got a very nice Philips HD digital picture frame for Christmas. I haven't used it too much since, because it shares an outlet with my Printer, and I really have no where else to plug it in. Anyway I decided to plug it in a little while ago, and the screen looked like this.

(click to enlarge)
    [​IMG]

I didn't know what could have happened, since it was basically siting on my desk for 7 months. I didn't see how the LCD could have been damaged. It almost looked like something was pressing on the screen from behind.

SO since it was already out of warranty, and being the good little geek that I am I took it apart, and found this:

(click to enlarge)
    [​IMG]

That doesn't look right does it?

Turns out that the battery (at least I assume it's the battery) behind the LCD is bulging, and pushing on the back of the LCD.

Here is a pic of the battery (I think):

(click to enlarge)
    [​IMG]

So is that the battery? What would cause it to do that? What should I do now? It only had a 90-Day warranty, but this is kinda unusual, do you think I could get a new frame or a repair out of Philips, by claiming it might be a fire hazard or something? I don't really need the battery, since it's going to be plugged in all the time. I could probably just take the battery out, but I shouldn't have to. What would you do?

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, definitely disconnect it. Then maybe you can bug them about getting a new frame, or at the very least, a battery and screen if it's damaged.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Call Phillips, send them the photos, let them know. It might be a part of a bigger problem that they need to know about, ie a soon-to-be-pending lawsuit. They should still replace it. If not, I'd consider getting a new one, and a different brand at that.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Out of warranty maybe, but that's a serious battery issue and Phillips needs to know about it. They might even ship you a replacement battery. And if enough people have this problem there could even be a recall.

5. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Your post, and your sig. kinda contradict each other, what should I do? :)

Seriously though, I guess I'll call Philips, but they probably won't be happy that I took it apart.

6. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

fudge a little and tell them it started to emit a funny smell.

7. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

I was wrong it has a 1 year warranty, so Im gonna call them tomorrow, and just play dumb, like I don't know what the problem is. I'll just say "I turned it on and the picture looks like crap," and see what they say.

8. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

LOL I just called them, and they wanted me to reformat the frame with the software that came with it (as if that would make a difference.) I said "I have a Mac", to which she responded "Well that won't work, well ship you a new one" :) I just thought it was funny. To her credit she did admit that the "reformat" probably wouldn't make a difference. :)

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Nice, maybe they mean reformat the battery ...:D

10. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well since it's still under warranty I didn't mention the battery, or the fact that I took it apart for fear of voiding the warranty. I just played dumb, and said I turned it on and the picture looks like crap. :)

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s