So, my FIRST and ONLY defect on my iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Figbash Acrobat, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

My silent switch broke off my 3G (common apparently). So, obviously I'm still within a year of my purchase from the Apple store. HOWEVER.... I've Quickpwn'd a custom firmware in 2.2.1 and now have OS 3.0 beta 3 without my own developer account. :cool: Yes I've pitched in for the developer program, but under a friend's name.

So which is riskier when asking for a replacement at the Apple Store...

1. Downgrade (requiring a jailbreak and tricky on a Mac? Correct me if I'm wrong) and possibly voiding the warranty. Not knowing if "Geniuses" can tell I've downgraded or jailbroken...

-OR-

2. Leave 3.0 OS Beta 3 on the phone and risk them calling me out for not having my own dev. account (i.e. not under my name)?

Lastly, if i "erase all content and settings" will ALL of my personal info be wiped???? I don't want Apple or the next owner of a refurbed phone coming across my personal info (including any left over apps/logs from my prior jailbreak).

Thanks in advance for help! I hate having to try and swap my original/only iphone 3G out at the apple store for some refurbed one just because the stupid switch broke off. BOOOO :apple:!

2. dauerhippo macrumors regular

You are being way too paranoid. They really don't care that much about the software on the phone, especially when you are replacing for a hardware issue. Just keep it at 3.0. They probably don't even have the means at their disposal to check if you are a legit dev, even if they wanted to (which they don't).

Honestly, I've brought in a jailbroken iPhone before and they don't care. They wipe it anyway. The only thing they even remotely care about are the unlocks.

Hope that helps

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

If you've downgraded correctly and flashed the correct baseband, then it should work. I don't know if the baseband flasher works on 3.0's baseband, though.

If you leave it on and if they call you out, show them that you can log into the account and get the link for downloading.

I don't know which one is riskier. If the baseband can be downgraded, then I'd go with downgrading the entire thing (but that's just me).

Erase Content and Settings will erase EVERYTHING securely as well (so theoretically they can't recover the data...at least as easily as they could in 1.1.4).

4. Figbash Acrobat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Thanks much for the timely responses. I've an appt. with a GENIUS tomorrow! I'm so privileged!

dauerhippo...thank you, man. You put my mind at ease. I'd hope that apple employees are far too busy to bother verifying that kind of info. I've heard now from several people that, for the most part, the Genius Bar associates don't really care to get involved in that. Ya never know though!

Niiro13, I appreciate your help too. However, I believe the baseband WON'T "downgrade" with the firmware. For this reason too, I will probably head to the Genius Bar with OS 3.0 rather than attempt a method that Apple doesn't approve (and that could even make matters worse if done wrong).

I already did Erase All Content and Settings, so at worst I'm running 3.0 on a clean slate. It didn't have me go into DFU mode or re-install the firmware. It just rebooted after the wipe. I read I'd have to do that, so it caught me off guard. Does it not wipe the OS also? It still took an hour.

Here's hoping they really do only inspect the hardware. It's a shame I have to sacrifice a perfectly fine phone because of a stupid silent switch. But, then again, we all know what they do with those parts!! Oh, and here's my "new" replacement phone as we speak.... whadayaknow!
    Well, we'll see. It better be solid! Or else, Apple. OR ELSE!!!

Anyways, I do appreciate it fellas. If you see me on the forums one night in poor spirits you'll know I'm just lamenting my first iPhone. She was a fine companion. Fine indeed.

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

leave 3.0 on it. If they question it, just say you are working for the developer and testing apps for the dev.

6. Figbash Acrobat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Hey. Thanks, skubish.

I've already gone and left from the "Genuis" Bar. I ended up leaving OS 3.0 on it per many folks' recommendations. And I erased all content+settings, restored again to 3.0. Ran out of time or I would've tried to force a DFU restore.

Don't know why but before anything the genuis asked firstly if I had restored recently. Though all I had shown him was the broken off silent switch. I didn't really know why, he wasn't very communicative. He soon asked if I was a developer. And I just said "Yep." No other questions, but I did get some curious looks from the guy as he must've been running his analytical tests. Maybe traces of Cydia, Winterboard/Themes, or other jailbreak evidence...

Who knows, but in the end I got a "new" iPhone. The first one he gave me looked odd, glue or something coming from around glass and a skewed volume button that didn't press right (definite refurb). He put up a fuss, not wanting to let me "preview" the phone, but I got him to open another and that one seemed fine. We'll see how it goes and hopefully this phone will work out kink-free for another 10 months. (My girl will inherit this one if they release a solid new phone this summer. Al'right.)

So THANKS AGAIN to all that responded so promptly. I credit you all for my replacement phone. AND ONCE AGAIN THE FORUM GANG SAVES THE DAY!! Out.