So, my first Macbook...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Lexical, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Lexical macrumors regular

Hello all, very nice to meet you!

I just bought my first ever Macbook several days ago and im really enjoying the experience. I went for the Macbook Air 13" 128Gb, fantastic machine!

Anyway, i was having a rather odd problem and i wasn't sure where to ask the question so i thought i would write it here ... Apologies if its in the wrong place!

Im trying to get all my music sorted on the new machine. I previously had everything on iTunes on my old W7 laptop. So i copied over all the music from there onto an external drive and imported it onto my new Macbook, great, no problems there...

However, i also have an iPhone 4S. Now... I obviously have everything synced up with my old machine, music wise... ratings, playlists and so forth. I dont really want to lose that information. So i plugged in my phone to the Macbook and asked it to sync. However, nothing really happened. It went through 3 stages of syncing but nothing happened. I had bought some music this morning on my phone and it didnt copy that over to the new machine either. Infact iTunes didnt even automatically download the purchases, i had to manually get it to do it through the store even though i have the options enabled on both my phone and on my Macbook fir automatic downloads.

So erm, whats going on? I obviously want everything on my Mac to be synced up to my phone, but i dont want to lose whats on my phone now. Essentially i want the Mac to take everything on my phone not the other way round...

What should i do?

Thanks for the advice guys/gals!

2. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Something similar happened to me when I had the Iphone 4 nearly a year ago. I connected the phone to the macbook and it wouldnt sync everything. It would say it was in the process of importing, but like 10 percent of what I wanted synced. I called apple, and we went over it together. I did the same process about ten times, then on the eleventh time it worked. Nothing changed, it was weird. I'd say keep trying. Pretty dumb actually, but maybe someone can give more specific information.

3. Lexical thread starter macrumors regular

I actually think its because i have my phone set to backup with iCloud and when i plug it in it doesnt do anything... But then again i also setup itunes wi-fi sync and on my phone it again says going though 4 stages but again nothing actually syncs with each other. I have all my music, i just dont want to lose all my ratings and playlists which are only on my phone at the moment. Unless i can transfer playlists and ratings from my old laptop to my mac?

4. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

You should have copied the enire iTunes folder from windows over to your Mac and then ran iTunes, file/open existing library, pick iTunes library from the folder you copied. Your ratings, etc would be retained.

5. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

You can still use Migration assistant to port your data over from your Windows machine. At least I think you can. It was one of the new 'features' of Lion. Because of course Mac to Mac you could use migration assistant since Leopard