So my iphone 3g activated automatically and 3g works on my edge plan!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SAIRUS, May 1, 2009.

1. SAIRUS macrumors 6502

So I had a legit older model, with the $20 plan. Bought a new iphone 3g today*, and plugged into itunes with my sim and it activated automatically. Then I noticed 3G and went online and it was the 3g speed.

Sooo how long before at&t switches me over, or am I gonna get some free time on the $20 plan?

*Yes I know a new one is coming soon, but 1. I can't right now commit for 2 years and 2. I'm a blu ray supporter, I don't care to watch my movies in HD, let alone support itunes HD video. Besides I get free digital copies with my movies anyways (well technically I do pay for them).

2. chriszzz macrumors 6502

Your plan gets switched over automatically when you activated the new phone.

3. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Hence, it's called the iPhone 3G. Funny how it works that way.

Either they already did, or will do so within 30 days

Didn't you already have to sign a 2 year committment for your new iPhone 3G?

Seconded, I don't know how this related to the new iPhone?

4. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

*pulled this from another thread I commented on*

I have had my iPhone 3G on the original iPhone plan since a little after it came out (just switched the Sim from my old iphone to the 3G)... i get ocasional messages saying:

"Your data plan is not eligible for iPhone 3G. To prevent excess charges and enable Visual VM, please call 611 to add a Data Plan for iPhone".

(I get both 3G service plus Visual Voice Mail)

I have gotten those messages just about every month. I just ignore them and have been for almost a year and still get charged my old iPhone plan price and my original iPhone contract is about to expire. (keep in mind I never signed a contract for my iPhone 3G)

I have heard that when you do purchase the iPhone 3g thru ATT that the contract states something to the extent that you must keep it with its eligible plan or that they could change it back or charge you.

problem on their end is that I never signed that contract... just the original iPhone contract.

anyway not saying it would be like this for everyone but im not budging to their ways ... if you want me to change something you should call me... not the other way around.

if they ever increased my rates or changed my plan i would be upset and most likely cancel my service. let me tell you why... i would be totally fine with them limiting my service to EDGE. its not my fault that they let me have the 3G service. I am doing my part on my side of the contract I agreed to and ATT should do the same which so far they are but harrassing me every month (not a big deal)

I guess my question would be did you sign a contract for the iPhone 3G?

5. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

This really makes on sense. :confused::confused::confused:

6. khkman22 macrumors member

Did you actually buy this from AT&T or ebay? I bought a refurb from AT&T and just put my old sim in (was 5 years old and did not have the 3G logo on it) and it "activated" just fine. I used it to make a call and look at internet so I knew it was working.

I actually upgraded my wife's line, but wanted to use it on my line until the new one comes out so that if I got that one, I would just then upgrade my line at that time and give the 3G to her. Well, I called AT&T to get them to switch it to my number and they said that it never showed as being activated in their system because I didn't use the SIM card that came with it. And I was told if I didn't do that then after the 60 days or whatever period it was without me activating it, I would get charged the full price of the phone. So just be careful about truly "activating" it.

But if everything is activated correctly, they should switch you over automatically, and if not, then you may have a charge for the full price coming your way. If you really want to only pay the $20 plan, call to make sure it is activated as 3G and there are no problems, then a few days later switch the SIM into the old 2G and tell them you are no longer using 3G and for them to switch your plan back. They'll switch your plan and after they do that, then just put the SIM back into the 3G and you will be able to use it on the cheaper plan. You will probably get the text messages saying your plan is not the right plan, but you will still be able to use it (and probably without them switching your plans as the other poster has stated he is doing).

7. SAIRUS thread starter macrumors 6502

Bought a new one from best buy. Friend of mine works there, so used his discount.

Oh and the whole mention of blu ray support?
    Well if the addition of HD support on the new iphone is going to have me wait, I already have blu ray for my HD.

8. KingHuds macrumors 6502

You want Blu ray support on your phone? HD is already a stupid idea on such a small screen anyways. And with the data size of HD and Blu ray content it doesn't really make sense to have it on a phone. I still don't understand why that is an issue for a phone.

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

This made me lol. The screen isn't even HD on the iPhone and who really cares at such a small screen size.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So you support blu ray, but you don't like to watch movies in HD.

How many non-HD blu ray movies are there out there?

11. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

I have the opposite problem. I have had the iPhone 3G since launch and we don't even have 3G where I live (or where the store I bought it from is!). I have spent a year paying extra for nothing. :mad::mad::mad:

12. KingHuds macrumors 6502

Have you talked to ATT? I dont think they can force you to pay for the 3G where they don't offer service, unless they just blanket it by saying 3G iPhone data plan encompasses EDGE also.

13. SAIRUS thread starter macrumors 6502

Umm why do you guys think I don't care for the new iphone? Watching on a small screen wouldn't work. Now watching on my 1080p projector on a 110" screen does. Sorry the only time DVDs are watched are Bollywood films.

Actually I'm watching the hawks game right now in HD. Why watch it on a 3" screen?