So my iPhone 4 iOS 5 Beta 4 deactivated last night

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MacDaddy08, Aug 5, 2011.

1. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I was using the phone normally, not talking, just messing around and all of a sudden it deactivated. :confused: I went all the way back to the original iPhone Setup screen like it wanted to set it up again. This happened to both mine and my wife's phone around the same time.

I tried:
    1. Restoring back to iOS 5 Beta 4 - would not activate
    2. Restoring to iOS 5 Beta 2 - would not activate
    3. Restoring back to 4.3.3 - would not restore, said ineligible even after entering DFU mode
    4. Finally had to restore back to 4.3.5 after entering DFU mode to get it to work and sync properly.

So now my iPhone is back on 4.3.5 and everything is working but I cannot reinstall iOS 5 Beta. I have no idea what happened but it affected mine and my wife's iPhones and now we are both back on 4.3.5.

I have a feeling that the developer that added my UDID to their account either removed our UDID's for some reason or his account was wiped by Apple. Either way, I'm pissed. I couldn't restore from any recent backups because all of my recent backups were from iOS 5 and they would not restore to iOS 4.3.5, I had to restore from a backup that was taken 2 months ago. :mad: My wife couldn't restore her's from backup at all because her computer was recently wiped and reloaded with Lion and all of her backups were taken from iOS 5, she had no previous backups still on her Macbook so she lost a TON of stuff. :eek:

I don't see anyone else having this issue so I don't think it's an Apple activation server issue, it seems that my UDID was removed and thus deactivating my iPhones.

SUCKS! :mad::mad:

*end rant*

2. ashameer macrumors newbie

Just contact the developer who registered you and sort it out with him.

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

4. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

Can't reach him, already tried. he is MIA

5. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

pretty much

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

your going to hate me but this is why I wait! ;) rather then got to have it now. plus not being able to run most stuff in Cydia. Well glad you got back up. i

7. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Why'd you upgrade in the first place? Just wondering.

8. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I upgraded when the Beta was first released because I wanted to try the new features like iCloud, Wifi sync, lock screen notifications, etc. I really liked it when it was working. I restored my phone a couple weeks ago and I was able to set everything backup after the restore without plugging it into iTunes. I activated, restored from iCloud backup and everything, it was great.

Jailbreaking is not really important to me on my iPhone so I wasn't worried about that.

9. NuclearWasted macrumors newbie

NuclearWasted

The same thing happened to me on both my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 except that I have a developer account.

10. mhadaniya macrumors newbie

Same happen with me, but i'm still trying to recover my iphone 4. No idea what happen... =/ and i have a developer account..

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

12. MSN1983 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem as you. I think my UDID got deactivated. I tried downgrading to 4.3.3 but that didn't work. 4.3.5 does tho? Guess ill try that. Any other advice? Did I need a previous backup?

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Congratulation :)

So we won't be seeing thread asking how to downgrade from betas!

14. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I had to put y phone into DFU mode and restore to 4.3.5, 4.3.3 wouldn't work. I was only able to restore from iOS 4 backups and the most recent I had was from the beginning of June so I lost 2 months of data.

As far as I know, that's the only thing that can be done. This is the last time I take a beta early....

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

the whole story is on the top of the page! ;) http://www.macrumors.com/ personally I never understand why people want to play with these betas, it's basically asking for headaches.

16. bigjee macrumors member

Last night my ios5 beta 1 deactivated and I was left hanging.

But luckily I was able to upgrade to beta 4 after palying around with 4.3.3.

i lost two weeks worth of data and like the OP I couldnt restore my data from beta 1 after downgrading to 4.3.5.

So I after I was pissed I refused to give up and upgraded to beta 4 and was able to restore my phone to all its previous setting albeit the last two weeks worth of data that I never backed up.

To the OP:

Buy another iOS 5 beta 4 "pass" from one of the more reputable sites and get your data back if its worth that much.

To all the haters of beta; don't troll here.
    To each their own.

17. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

End of whine is more like it.

Let this be a lesson to everyone that is NOT a developer. Developers agree to a contract with Apple to use beta software.

You get what you deserve.

You don't NEED access to beta software to try out whatever feature this is probably still buggy as it is in beta status. You CAN wait.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Why wait when you can just jailbreak it to get access and not pay for a UDID to be registered? Of course, I don't whine on MR or to Apple when things sometimes go badly. ;)

OP, if you're comfortable with jailbreaking there is a fairly easy way to make the iOS 5 betas think they're normal firmware make it activation it.

[Tutorial] Install iOS5 Beta 2 without developer UDID - no hacktivation!

*Note: The only downside to doing this is that you lose the ability to get Over-the-Air (OTA) updates. When a new beta comes out you'll have to restore.

19. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

This from someone with hackthatphone as a screename. Like you don't try new stuff that winds up being buggy some times. Lol.

For your information, iOS 5 as the LEAST buggy beta I've dealt with. It was actually quite stable. I wanted to try it out so I could test how icloud was going to work with 2 phones sharing the same iTunes account.

Yes, I COULD, have waited but I chose not to so I would know what I was getting into when it was released.

So I had my reasons but it's really none of your business. I'll let you fumble around with iOS 5 when it comes out trying to figure out everything while I just sit back and enjoy it. Thanks for the worthless post.

20. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

No thanks, I have all of the information I need from iOS 5.

If I were whining I would have bitched about wanting my $$ back and how Apple was a bitch company for canceling the accounts. Instead, I posted what happened and what I did to rectify the problem. Sure. It sucks having to use a backup that is 2 months old but whatever, if you wouldn't be pissed about something like that then you must be using your phone as a paperweight, in which case just go buy a nokia. I understand why they did it and if you notice, I was correct about my assumptions of what happened before ANY of the articles were released about it.