So, my iPhone is on its way! But first, a question about activation..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dubis07, Dec 16, 2007.

1. dubis07 macrumors member

It's official, I'm getting the iPhone for Christmas and I can't wait! I'm going to go to the apple store today to look at some cases to have ready when I open it. I have a question, though:

How does the activation process go? Am I suppose to setup a service with AT&T (whom I am switching to) and get a sim card, or will the same card be in the iPhone and I'll be able to do everything from my iTunes? I know I'll be transferring my T-Mobile number if that accounts for anything. I am reading the iPhone manual at apple's website and it says I need to go setup an account with AT&T first. Please fill in the blanks for me!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You connect your iPhone to iTunes and it will prompt you through the activation process. Make sure the latest version of iTunes is installed before you start.

3. dubis07 thread starter macrumors member

So the sim card is included in the phone when you buy it?

4. dubis07 thread starter macrumors member

5. star800 macrumors newbie

I want to ask you a question that whether you Iphone can play the *.3gp format music ?

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

MP3 is not a problem...

with the music, but you will need to convert music videos and DVD videos to MPEG 4, in order to play them on your new iPhone. I utilize MPEP Streamclip and then view the DVD movies and music videos with a DivX Player on my MacBook or Mac Pro, prior to "synching" with my iPhone. There's nothing like watching a DVD movie or a music video "on the go" while riding the BART train here in the San Francisco Bay Area! :cool:

7. TimJim macrumors 6502a

If i do an early cancellation with Verizon, then set up my iPhone can i keep my same number? is there any way to keep my same number?

8. dubis07 thread starter macrumors member

I'm pretty sure that it will transfer you number then cacel you contract for you. And Xmas ce early guys. In typing on my iphone right now!

9. silbeej macrumors 6502a

When you are activating in iTunes, you have the option to keep your number. ATT will "take" your number from your previous provider, and apply it to your iPhone. This is what i did, however i was finished with my plan, and was paying by month. If you leave early, the same exact thing will happen, but you might or probably will get an early termination fee. iTunes takes care of everything.

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Take this advice...

Got to ATT.com or a local store and open your AT&T account today, and get a free phone, or cheap refurb! You can then use it as a backup, or sell for $$$.

Just sign up on the $39.99 plan or whatever. You can even go ahead and switch your number now if you want and use your free or cheap phone (unless trying to keep it in perfect condition to sell).

Then when you open the iphone you just connect to itunes and say "replace existing phone," and it will inactivate your old phone.

Trust me, I didn't do this, and I so regret it. However, I did do it for my mother for christmas! Got a $20 N75 refurb, which I can resell on ebay for $100-$150.

If you go through ATT.com/wireless you get 2 day shipping, so you'd be up and running in plenty of time.

Even if not to sell the phone, get a free one, and use as backup if iphone needs service.

11. RMferrer macrumors member

this is exactly what i did!!!

12. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

If you activate an iPhone on the last day of your old carrier's contract, do you avoid the termination fee?

I have a contract with T-Mobile that expires right at Christmas, and I'm curious when it's safe to get an iPhone and activate it.

13. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Call and ask that carrier.

or, you could probably activate the iphone with a new number, and then call AT&T once you're sure the T-Mobile contract is up and start the number transfer process.

14. mdx macrumors newbie

Does anyone know what version of firmware the iPhone has straight out of the box?

15. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Just got one this weekend and it has 1.1.2

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I picked-up a week 47...

iPhone a week and a half ago, it had 1.1.2 already installed. I had to replace a week 32 iPhone because of a "software glitch." :cool: