So my Late 2008 Macbook Pro has a loose battery cover+hinge!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vader1990, Jul 13, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi,

I bought the 2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook Pro the day it basically came out in October 2008, and I absolutely love it!

Now I have 2 MINOR problems that I CAN very easily live with but since I dropped $2K on the thing I want it to be perfect :D

1. the battery cover is loose, like it moves around in place, its not flush! so sometimes when I rest my hand on the latpop to type I hear it move. no biggie.

2. SOMETIMES when I hold my macbook pro up, like with the front facing up, the laptop opens up by itself? Like the magnet is loose or weak or worn out or something? Also the Hinge is loose, because sometimes when I'm on my bed it like falls over?

So should I even bother going to Apple? I DO NOT have an extended warranty or Apple Care. I'm hoping this is free simply on the 1 yr thing? Should I take care of these issue now before my 1 yr warranty is up? I bought my mac in a store btw!

Thanks!!

EDIT: I just realized the opening problem is because it seems the screen is higher on one side than the other. Like when its closed, the cover is higher on the left than the right, so it isn't flush with the closing? What should I do??

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I'd take it in if I were you, even if they are rather 'small' problems. If Apple decides to do something about it then it'll be warranty work and, therefore, free :)

3. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

So do I make an appointment? Can I just simply walk into a store and will they be able to help me? Sorry, I'm new to macs so I don't really know how this process works!

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it! :)

4. GeJohnO macrumors newbie

Either way. You can make a reservation online or walk-in at the store.

5. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

The loose hinge is by design. They are all like that.

The battery cover can be fixes by bending the metal tabs on the cover a little.

That will tighten it up.

6. jpma macrumors 6502

i don't recommend bending even it might fix the problem.

when you pay for apple laptop don't you expect a certain level of quality from it?
    best to contact applecare first & see what they suggest