So my lightning cable broke already

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukekarts, Oct 7, 2012.

1. lukekarts, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

lukekarts macrumors regular

UPDATE:

Update: Episode 2: Attack of the Cables.

Briefly to update - I called again, was assured I would get a replacement cable on the Wednesday, which I did. Ended up with no phone for a day. Replacement worked fine for two weeks, until... last night.

Put my phone on charge last night, it bleeped/vibrated to confirm it was charging, but this morning - as I was leaving the house, I noticed the battery was at 50%. Got home just now, tried the charger/cable and it is not powering my phone.

Fortunately, I have a spare which does work, but this is my second Lightning cable to fail. Hassle I could do without.

(and by failure I mean there are no signs of physical damage - they're just not working)

OLD POST:

Got my iPhone 5 on Friday, worked all ok, but now I'm away for the weekend at a wedding and the cable appears to have stopped charging (fortunately someone else has a working cable so I've got some backup at least until this afternoon). I can't return my phone for an exchange as the O2 store is sold out, and having rung Apple the shipping time on a replacement cable is 1-2 weeks. Seems to be the same on the online Apple Store.

Are they for sale on the high street anywhere in the UK? E.g. Apple Stores?

If not this a ******* pain in the arse as I don't have another phone to use and have no way to get charge.

2. nba1341 macrumors regular

And this is why Apple should use the universal micro usb that the rest of the world uses. :apple:

3. Rad-o macrumors member

Did the charger break into the phone :O

4. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I think the whole lightning cable lock in by Apple is pretty unethical. As if they don't make enough money they have to essentially 'force' users to buy their adapter from them at a premium price.

At the minimum Apple should allow 3rd party developers to make conversion adapters, considering they can't even keep up with demand.

OP that really sucks and its pretty unfair of Apple to put people in this kind of situation if the adapter is defective.

As if Apple really needed to thin out the devices anymore than they had last generation.

Agree with the other poster, micro usb should be adapted but of course Apple couldnt corner consumers if they went that route.

5. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Did you even read the his post? :O

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Cables break, and 1 in a "million" break right in the beginning, sad that it happens to you but that's the way it is.
    But, Apple should have such cables available for cases like you, waiting a few weeks is ridiculous.
    I would call them (again) and this time push a bit, maybe that helps to get one faster.

7. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

People say its better that the old one and micro usb but by the looks imo looks weaker than the old and just as weak as micro usb.

8. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

They are available at the apple store I purchased some last week.
    I also picked up a micro USB to thunderbolt adapter, they are shockingly small.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349603168.853766.jpg

9. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

You meant micro USB to Lightning, yes? :D See .. This Thunderbolt and Lightning can be bags of hurt. Pretty soon Apple would come up with another $#1tstorm port labelling :p

10. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

How much is this little adapter?

11. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I picked one of these up too, along with the micro USB/30-pin dock adapter. Now I can charge my iphone and iPad from a single micro USB.

12. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

sheesh it broke already? What do you do to your cable man??? I have mine laying on the floor and balled up in my pocket and it's still in perfect condition.

13. rsnapeuk macrumors regular

I'd give apple care a call. I've had two replacement iPhone 5's sent out to me within the last 7 days, so if you make a fuss I'd imagine they'd do the same.

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

It's covered under warranty so you should be able to book an appt. at the Genius Bar and get the cable replaced.

15. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

Yup, lightning :).
    Here is a better pic
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349605879.042245.jpg

16. AFDoc, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

AFDoc macrumors 68030

OR don't buy an iPhone! Easy solution to your non problem r/t micro USB.

OP, GO to the apple store and have them swap it out don't rely on the person thousands of miles away on the phone.

All bunk. No one forces you to do anything. YOU choose to buy the iPhone KNOWING the connector is different. It is NOT being unfair by apple because the chord breaks. Lots of things break all the time, sheit happens and it's not all apple's fault. As far as changing the dock connector, how long did you expect apple to stay 32 pin? Silly to expect them to never change it. Again, if you don't like the fact that iPhone doesn't have M-USB, don't buy one. Easy.

17. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

£15

18. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

19. lukekarts thread starter macrumors regular

I wish it was that easy but my nearest Apple Store is about 90 mins away and I'm at work :(

20. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Just call again and make some noise, say you need your phone badly for work, what is there to loose.

21. lukekarts thread starter macrumors regular

Update: Episode 2: Attack of the Cables.

Briefly to update - I called again, was assured I would get a replacement cable on the Wednesday, which I did. Ended up with no phone for a day. Replacement worked fine for two weeks, until... last night.

Put my phone on charge last night, it bleeped/vibrated to confirm it was charging, but this morning - as I was leaving the house, I noticed the battery was at 50%. Got home just now, tried the charger/cable and it is not powering my phone.

Fortunately, I have a spare which does work, but this is my second Lightning cable to fail. ****ing hassle I could do without.

(and by failure I mean there are no signs of physical damage - they're just not working)

22. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Maybe it's your phone....