So my mac has been destroyed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grant Rickard, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Grant Rickard macrumors newbie

As the title suggests i returned home from work after being away for 3 days and my macbook pro still plugged in and running had allot of water tipped in it and everything inside is fried!

My question is if i was to buy a new one could i just transfer the hard drive over to the new one? retrieve all my info and then switch over?

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Assuming your hard drive wasn't destroyed, yes. Although you'd need a way to connect it to a working machine to get the data off.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I think he means a bootable hard drive. Like, just transfer the HDD over to a new MBP, and then boot off of it.

I think that should work provided you get the same type of computer. Like, if you had a '11 MBP, and you buy a new '11 MBP, then it should be possible.

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The great thing about Macs is that they have a limited hardware pool. Which means in a normal installation of OS X, all of the drivers (I'll refer to them as kexts) for every Mac ever made comes along with it.

Which means, as long as you don't buy a Mac that's newer than your destroyed Mac, the hard drive will contain all of the kexts necessary to run OS X on any Mac.

5. Grant Rickard thread starter macrumors newbie

This would be from an early 2008 to a 2011 model. So booting from the old drive could be a problem? If this fails is there another way of retrieving the data from the old drive?

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

do you have a time machine backup of your old computer? If not, I think the easiest thing to do would be to get a enclosure or some connectors for your hdd and then transfer the files to your new computer. (i did this when my computer failed, except that i used someone else's desktop xD )

that way you can get the bigger hard drive space, which will probably come in handy.

7. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

You could always retrieve the data if you use a SATA to USB dock or something similar once you get your new MBP. You'll be able to retrieve personal data and some apps, certain programs that require to be installed you cannot get back since you have to re-install them.

8. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

As long as you updated after the model came out, then yes it will work without fail.
    So, if you updated your Mac after 2/24/11 (Release date of 2011 MBPs), that hard drive will have kexts for those new MBPs.

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

i put the hd from my 2010 13" into my 2011 13" and it booted right up..I've yet to use the included hd..