So my Mac just got a virus...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Oral B, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Oral B macrumors newbie

I know that Macs aren't impossible to hack or infect, but I noticed I had an update this morning and after it was complete, I got a message saying something like "Malware has been detected and removed. The filename was OSX.Pintsized.i".

Pretty mind boggling, I don't even know how to go about dealing with a virus on OS X. I tried googling about this one, and there is not a lot fo info at all on it. It also looks like not a lot of people were hit with it, so that's strange.

Does anyone have anymore info on this virus? I had bank info on my computer, is that compromised now? Also, think I should do anything else to remove it or did Apple take care of it through the update?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OSX.Pintsized is a Trojan horse, not a virus. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below).

3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.

Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
    LOL!

3. Oral B thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a relief, thanks a lot for the info. I'll check out those links now. So it was pretty much nothing to worry about at all then?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, pretty much.

Just wondering, do you change your screen name every three months or so? :D