So my macbook cable melted

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LondonGooner, Nov 5, 2007.

1. LondonGooner macrumors regular

im not too happy about this at all, its melted near to end similar to how this picture looks
    http://www.appledefects.com/?p=285

Any advice on how to go forward with this?
    Im out of warranty. However Im planning to go to the mac shop tomorrow and demand a replacement, or i will be going to the small claims court (i live in the UK). Im a huge apple fan, but this is potentially a serious fire hazard. If I have to pay £100 for the cable, it will also mean no iPhone for me on friday (im on a tight budget after also buying leapord & an iPod touch last week).

Usually apple are excellent, so i hope they sort this mess out.
    This is not the only complaint i have with my macbook. Since i got my macbook, the top and the bottom were not inline but i was assured by people on the forum that this was common & i didnt find it a problem. However this has recently caused the bottom of my mac to have a crack on it.
    I also faced the random shutdown problems last year.

I love my macbook however im getting a bit annoyed by all these problems; mainly because its preventing me from play world of warcraft. thanks for listening to my rant :D

Ill post details of my apple store visit tomorrow & pics of the melted cable/cracked macbook later

One thing to note, my cable only started to overheat once i installed leopard on friday. coincidence???

2. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

I would hope they would cover that. but I have no experience with that at all. Good luck!:apple:

3. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

We have two MacBook Pros in our office and one adaptor died and the other melted, though at the opposite end of the cable to that pictured.

I'm similarly out-of-warranty; but I'm interested to hear how you'll get on.

4. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors regular

im very hopeful for a free replacement. a radio show i listen to, the DJ took in 2 broken iPods (one in and one out of warranty) & both were replaced free. Im going to look for the genius he mentioned by name on the radio, sounds like a good guy :D

5. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

A bit off topic, but why a touch AND a phone? No wonder money's tight! :p

6. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

Is this the reason why I cannot find an 85watt power supply anywhere. I went to the Apple Store, none were available, CompUSA nope, Bestbuy Nadda, the Castle Computer (use to the be the only good apple retailer... Out of buisness :mad:)

7. jgoldin macrumors newbie

Melted Power Supply Cord

I had the same problem yesterday. When I went into the Apple store in downtown Chicago, they told me that they were aware of the problem, but since there was no recall I would have to pay for my own replacement power supply. When I told them that I felt it was a fire hazard the guy shrugged his shoulders and told me they wouldn't pay for it because they had not issued a recall. As I got in line, with a lot of other customers to buy the new replacement, and then started telling the clerk that I wasn't happy. She had the same response, but when I told her that I thought Apple should pay. If it had just stopped working, I would have paid, but stopping working and almost burning my house down, I thought that should be on Apple. When I started to say that a little louder, one of the more senior sales people pulled me out of line, and gave me a free replacement to stop me from making a fuss in the line about something that could prohibit other sales.

8. pinktank macrumors 6502

As demonstrated by the poster above, it depends on your attitude and who you get to talk to

9. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i pulled my adapter from my bag today and could see bare wires and didn't use it and called apple immediately. i'm exactly 1 month out of warranty, and they told me i had to buy a new one. i'm going to talk to the store i bought my macbook pro from first, and if they insist i have to purchase one i'm going to contact the ftc and see if the government would like to institute a recall because things that burn are an obvious hazard. so i guess we'll see what happens. i hate using my wife's dell, it feels like taking a step back. but honestly, if this is how they are going to play it, i don't know how much i'll be willing to buy another macbook, as much as i love mine. i know how that sounds, but this is obviously a known problem, and they changed the new version of the 85w adapter to try and combat the problem. to dig in your feet and charge a loyal customer for something you know is broke is ridiculous.

that sounds less like attitude and more like willingness to cost the apple store future sales. ;)

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Try doing this when a seam on some shirt you buy breaks. They'll just kick you out.

Apple cares about customers, but you making a scene makes you very immature.

And nice mega bump.

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Well, if that shirt could potentially start a fire or electrocute me, I think I'd make a fuss over that too! ;)

12. jgoldin macrumors newbie

I can't say that I would make a scene over a seam on a shirt, but a known fire hazard is a bit different. I don't make a practice of complaining until I get free replacements, but you have to admit that this is something that Apple should doing a full scale recall on. The first time someone's house burns down, and someone perish's in that fire Apple will think that a recall was the cheap option.

13. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I got mine replaced right when Apple switched from the larger 85W to the smaller 85W. My wire hadn't even scorched, just started to show through and the got me a new one right away. I have had nothing but good experiences with Apple and in-store returns (multiple MM, 85W adapter, iPod Shuffles).

Oakbrook, IL store btw.