So my macbook is done...water damage

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by joedavis34, Dec 15, 2008.

1. joedavis34 macrumors regular

Took my macbook into an apple story yesterday and told me today there is "a lot of water damage" and my harddrive, logic board can go out at any time. My airport card, disc drive and fan have already gone on the fritz...

So I'm kinda screwed because I'm a poor college student and I'm probably buying at an awful time.

I can either get my computer gutted for 750 dollars (they said 2000 worth of repairs for a flat rate) or let it die and then get it gutted or a new computer.

I don't see the point in paying 750 for an obsolete computer (it's the first blackbook edition of the macbook that came out in the first half of '06). (1 gb ram, 80 gb HD, 2.0 ghz Core Duo processor)

I'm pretty sad because I bought this with my own money.

So what's the best route do you guys think? Getting it gutted and repaired for 750 or getting a new computer?

What kind of payment plans are out there that are the best? I saw on Apple Store website they have a Visa plan with no interest for a few months.

Any ideas?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Never buy anything with a "payment plan". A $500 PC laptop >> monthly payments.

Personally, I'd use it until it broke, saving money and data constantly.

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Apple has refurb MacBooks that pop up in the refurb store from time to time for $799, snag one of those. You just have to keep checking.

4. Roadking macrumors 6502

Best Buy has a 18 month no interest option for purchases over $499. They had a sale a few weeks back on MacBooks, but if you have a local apple store nearby, bring a printed copy of the student price on the apple store website.

They will match it as long as you have a apple store close by.

You should be able to get the cheapest one for $950 and then get the 18 month no interest on the Best Buy credit card.

If you can't swing the full amount I recommend this alternative.

5. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Since you're a college student, you can buy a brand new white MacBook for $949 with the Apple Educational discount.

For $200 more than it takes to get your old computer gutted and repaired, you'll be getting a 64-bit computer capable of taking better advantage of Snow Leopard than your old one. It'll have better graphics capability (not by much, though, and a 120GB hard drive. Also, you'll be getting a one-year warranty.

On curical.com, you can upgrade your memory to 2BG for $24, or you can max it out to 4GB (a much better idea) for $44:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...Hz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White) MB402LL/A

6. joedavis34 thread starter macrumors regular

7. Neil1138 macrumors regular

8. joedavis34 thread starter macrumors regular

That's the 750 dollar question...

I have no idea.

9. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Did you ever question why the Genius told you that?

That's sort of their defense to end any discussion. All they have to do is utter the word "water" and it instantly changes everything.

10. joedavis34 thread starter macrumors regular

I talked to one genius and two managers

They say it has huge amount of water damage particles. I guess I'll see it tomorrow night.

11. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

as it was poring rain today and i put my laptop in my bag i thought, hmmmm water damage, i wonder what could happen.

then i took it out and left it at home.
    ya electricity and water = no bueno

funny thing is, i was like hey maybe someone has something on this on MR.

sorry to hear what happened.
    ya credit, might as well sell your soul to the devil.

12. joedavis34 thread starter macrumors regular

is yours water damaged?

13. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Wait you mean you didn't spill any water or liquid on your machine and the Apple Store is telling you it has water damage? Sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one on you just to get you to fork out more money. I'd dispute it and ask them for the proof.

14. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

thank God no.
    i would s$(* a brick if i dropped my laptop in water or w/e such horrible and terrifying incidents

which you already have.