So my Macbook Pro got a new Air Ventilation System - Need Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhyHelloThur, Feb 10, 2011.

1. WhyHelloThur, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

WhyHelloThur macrumors newbie

So I just got my 13' macbook pro 2 weeks ago. I was at school and the Macbook was in my bag. The Apple God decided my macbook needed more ventilation, so it snapped one of the straps on my bag which caused the bag to fall from about 3-4 ft to the concrete floor. This is the result....

[​IMG]

Thankfully the screen is fine and it is still in great condition. The HDD is in great shape still and all components are working fine. Only problem is a have this big hole in side of my macbook.

Solutions:

1. Order a new top case off ifixit.com for about $250.
    2. Put a towel over the dented part, and slam that thing with a hammer till is as normal as possible.
    3. ...this is were you come in, suggestions?

Thanks!

EDIT: Resized picture

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It would be in your best interest to purchase a new topcase (not bottomcase, the unibodies have the sides as part of the topcase, not the bottomcase). But you could put a towel over it and hammer it very lightly...

3. WhyHelloThur thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh, ic. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Thats what I meant to say. =p

4. dvh13 macrumors newbie

I had a similar incident once, and I tried the hammer route. The results were not good. I didn't break anything, but it also didn't fix the problem at all. My dent wasn't quite as big as yours, and I learned to live with it. I always entertained the idea of replacing the case, but could never come up with the money to buy the part. If you can afford the part go for it. I don't think the hammer will work well enough for you to just ignore the dent.

5. rjbruce macrumors regular

If you're going the hammer route, I would first remove the HDD, then place something flat against the area you plan to whack. Then start lightly.

Using this approach is still risky because you don't know what else might be twisted up and be stressed.

Good luck though. Really sucks.

6. pedrofan macrumors 6502

Aluminium is a **** solution for a laptop housing.

7. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

and if you where in charge you would suggest what??

8. hypervish89 macrumors regular

First, try going to the apple store... We all know it's not covered under apple care, but we also know that most apple stores, if not all let things slide once in a while. So, give it a shot, you have nothing to lose.

9. WhyHelloThur thread starter macrumors newbie

If I get a top case off ifixit and repair it myself, will my warranty be voided? Will they be able to tell?

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

They won't be able to tell if you do not leave any wear marks on the screws or pull on the battery "pull tab." Pull on the plastic "nub" near the battery connector. I reapplied thermal paste on my 13" MBP (involves removing fan, heatsink, logic board, and battery) and have had numerous repairs since. I followed my own advice (They won't be able to tell if you do not leave any wear marks on the screws or pull on the battery "pull tab." Pull on the plastic "nub" near the battery connector.) and it hasn't been an issue.

11. skidmarc macrumors member

If you are going to use a hammer be super careful. It won't take much to fracture the aluminum, unless you heat it which I wouldn't suggest. Get the upper case as suggested from iFixIt or another vendor.

12. rotorblade69 macrumors regular

Aluminum is an excellent case design. Good heat sink. Good light structural material. Generally cost effective considering Inj. Carbon Fiber. Easy to machine. Very durable for what it is when anodized properly.

Flexible. The cases of the macbooks built out of aluminum have a built in suspension system. It crushes and takes the hit and from what I can tell its built that way for a reason with space around the components. There is a reason they call it the unibody. Now for the MB Air's thats a different animal totally. Not a lot of space around them. I have read about a lot of Apple Uni Notebooks that take a hit that are still working only look really ugly with the dent.

13. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Your right. All MacBook Pro's should be made out of the highest quality and tightly woven carbon fiber unibodies. Not like it wouldn't cost ridiculous amounts of money to even shape the stuff :rolleyes:. Its a hell of allot better than plastic, you drop a plastic computer and a piece cracks off with aluminum its like someone denting your car. My friend reportedly dropped his 07 MBP down the stairs and other than this really nasty dent I saw on it he said it works fine. Lucky him though he's getting a new i7 15" MBP Maxxed out :mad::p

14. ender land macrumors 6502a

I would rather my case bend/dent than the case be so rigid all the force of any impact went straight to the internal components.

Any damage you see on the casing is indicative that the insides suffered less force than otherwise could have (not that they will necessarily be perfectly preserved either).