So my macbook superdrive died...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bpm2000, Oct 13, 2008.

1. bpm2000 macrumors newbie

*did do a search and there only seems to be a couple of threads about this:

Symptoms:

-will not burn discs - does understand a blank disc and been put in but when attempting to start the burn, whatever program in use will crash and it will prompt me again that i have entered a blank disc.

-will read discs but it takes it forever to figure it out, and makes all kinds of weird noises when doing so.

-strange noise on disc eject/entry.

I am most likely going to purchase a drive on ebay and replace it myself since I don't have applecare and will not pay their prices to replace anyways. I just wanted to get your opinion on whether this has anything to do with maybe the case/chassis warping rather than the drive itself.

Intel C2D macbook. The laptop is stationary 95% of the time it is used, close clamshell style on an Antec laptop cooler. Never dropped. I did have the battery bulge issue from a year or two ago that I replaced already. Drive starting going bad last week.

Thx!

2. ibrahima macrumors newbie

had a similar problem with a macmini late 2006 superdrive, though it happened over a much longer period of time.

at first it would make coasters of dvds every so often

then it got more often

then it did it on cds as well.

and then it just wouldn't read or write any discs.

in total, this happened over the course of... two to three months.

whole thing just needed to be replaced, thankfully it was covered by my applecare education discount.

you'll be a bit screwed otherwise unfortunately.

there wasn't really much of an explanation, this happened on both xp and osx using all sorts of burning software. the typical errors were stuff like... "power test alignment failing". whatever that means. i looked around on the usual forums and couldn't really chase down a likely suspect.

just sounds like your standard case of dodgy parts failing over time, not affecting a great deal of people though.

i hope i don't have any further problems with it.

3. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Yeah my macbook superdrive died recently too, im pretty sure it has nothing to do with the case warping or anything like that. Maybe the superdrives in the macbooks just arent good? lol whatever it is, im pretty sure its the drive not the casing of the computer.