So my MB palmrest finally cracked after 1 year..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by audioteknika, Oct 21, 2008.

1. audioteknika macrumors regular

How don't know how the hell it happened but 2 weeks ago the right side finally decided to crack where the latch is located on the right side. I decided to glue it back to the casing thinking it would
    be impossible to have it repaired for free since it's out of warranty. To my surprise, after opening my MB this morning, another chunk of plastic (5mm) fell apart.. So now I'm thinking what's next on list.

This is going to be my first trip to the genius bar for a notebook problem.. Never had problem with replacements for products still in warranty ( iPod exchange ? 3 to 4 times can't remember.. iPhone 3G ? Already on my 3rd one but it's perfect now )

How do I deal with this situation for a product out of warranty ? I know it's known problem for plastic MB but I don't know how to approach the situation.. Hell, I can't even get my CC company to pay for repair since I needed to send the original receipt to Apple for the ipod payback promotion last August..

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I just got my MB back for the same thing, although I didn't glue mine back together.

It is a known problem with the MB and I bet the geniuses will have seen plenty of MB with cracked palmrests. I believe it to be a design flaw.

Just go and show them the MB and I think they will offer to replace it for free. Your best bet is to be friendly and if they try and charge you say that you have seen reports of it being a widespread problem and many people getting it fixed for free.

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

They should replace it for free. My friend just went in at 10am to the Apple store here in Canada, and showed them the issue. He has a 1.83 with no Apple Care, and they said they would fix it for him for free.

4. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Mine was replaced for free last week and its a early 2007 model which i brought from eBay about 2 months ago!

5. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Apple will cover this out of warranty if you press it.

6. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

So... what happened?