Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
So over the weekend. I tried trials of media composer, and premiere. And also for kicks also cut a project on FCP7. Im convinced now not only does Apple make pro products that work for me. FCPx is just a better workflow IMO. I cut the same project on all four editors and to me FCPx is by car the quickest. I do like the way FCP7 looks but Im so fast on FCPx. I would like to learn Media Composer too well since I hear it's industry standard. But I really like editing on FCPx. Even though people say it's mediocre...

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Good to hear you gave it a shot.
I work with Avid MC/Symphony, Premiere Pro and FCPX.
They all have their quirks and some more than others.
I love FCPX for what I do.
Never a bad thing to learn all of em time to time.
But if I need something done now and no brain aches then FCPX it is.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ

yea in my opinion not only is FCPx the most simple to use. I think it renders the fastest as well...

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
yea in my opinion not only is FCPx the most simple to use. I think it renders the fastest as well...

I say for sure since I live in Avid daily.
The process from ingesting to Avid then transcoding then editing then finishing is way too long compared to FCPX.
I work in R3D mostly in FCPX and with my RED ROCKET card I never see massive render times close to what Avid does :p
Even before the ROCKET card, I could easily finish in an evening and have a product to show online/BD next day.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
Could be cuz I started my editing career on FCPX, but I love it as well. I feel like I can work so much faster on this than any alternative i've seen or used. Even the UI just looks like I want it to:) Now all I need is 16gb of ram and i'll have nothing to complain about:)

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
Could be cuz I started my editing career on FCPX, but I love it as well. I feel like I can work so much faster on this than any alternative i've seen or used. Even the UI just looks like I want it to:) Now all I need is 16gb of ram and i'll have nothing to complain about:)

what machine do you edit on

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
what machine do you edit on

Baseline rMBP, first model. Wish I woulda got 16gb since I use boatloads of efx and can get edits up to 10-15 mins as well. Either way it's still a beast for editing, extremely fun to use, but I may upgrade soon for the 16gb…altho they took away the video card on the baseline this year:/ (I do some light gaming as well)

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Love Final Cut

Also, since you just seem to be getting familiar with FCPX, I would mention that I LOVE the filters and transitions over at http://www.pixelfilmstudios.com . Every time I go there I want buy more stuff. :) They are almost always running some 25% off thing too. Not really a fan of the iPad FCPX app though, seemed more of a pain than a helper, but love everything else.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
Also, since you just seem to be getting familiar with FCPX, I would mention that I LOVE the filters and transitions over at http://www.pixelfilmstudios.com . Every time I go there I want buy more stuff. :) They are almost always running some 25% off thing too. Not really a fan of the iPad FCPX app though, seemed more of a pain than a helper, but love everything else.

just checked them out.. site looks like it was down.. Im looking for that computer transition that some editors are using.. looks like a bad transmission.....

----------

I agree and its the most fun....

ManhattanBeach

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
I'd have to agree that FCPx is the quickest/most efficient editor. Although I may be slightly biased. Either way, my next upgrade to 16gb ram should provide all the rendering capacity I need. (i hope)

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I've been editing a project in PP CS6 (what I normally use) and FCX just to give it a chance.

FCX vs. PP CS6
Pros
- Media Management, I wish premiere had the library, event and project system. It's nice not having to do all my own media management outside of the editing software first.
- Available Effects, preloaded effects save me time in FCX vs having to create things manually in PP
- Previewing Clips

Cons
- Slow, that's all that can be said. It crashed far too often and hangs for no reason. PP cuda acceleration is a beast.
- Maganetic timeline. I guess I'm just too use to track based editing, thus, I just can't get comfortable with FCX's timeline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.