So my new iPad Pro 12.9 just died for no reason..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zanosuke, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Zanosuke, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

Zanosuke macrumors newbie

Recieved my first iPad ever yesterday; an iPad Pro (12.9,256 GB, SG) with all the accessories (pencil/smart keyboard and first impressions couldn't have been better. Spent a couple hours setting it up (installing apps, games ect) and went to sleep with 50 % (turned it off). Woke up, turned it on, did some browsing, folded it into the cover so it went to sleep and put it on my desk while I did some school work on my main comp. After one hour I took a break and opened the cover, no reaction. Pressed the power button, no reaction. Tried to force it to reboot, no reaction. Tried to plug into to the wallsocket, no reaction at all (no symbol, nothing)..

So after that I spent over two hours with Apple support (in Sweden) and first they were gonna use one of two uses of my new Apple Care+ and I was like hell no, this must be a hardware fault if it just dies randomly. Had to talk to two other people before they made a recall-errand so gonna send it back on monday and wait a few weeks before a new arrives.. So hope this isn't some widespread issue and that you have better luck then me!!

BIG UPDATE GUYS!! WTH?! I unpacked it from my return box just to try this combination and got an Apple logo! But it had almost no battery left which was strange since it have been dead like a brick since this morning. Anyhow, it accepted charge now and so far, no problems! Huge tnx for the suggestion! Wish the support guy had given me the right reboot-code so I could have skipped this stressful day!

2. krizko macrumors regular

Did you try holding Power/Volume Down for 10-15 seconds to force a reboot?

3. Zanosuke thread starter macrumors newbie

According to the support there was a new combination for the new modell; short press Volume down, then up and then hold Power but I just tried your way too. Didn't work :(

4. krizko macrumors regular

Figured as much, but you never know as I had a similar issue when I first got my iPhone X (last year) and was unable to reboot it before figuring out this button combo.

Worth a shot though.

Sorry to hear about the issues on your new device.

5. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

I can really understand that you are so angry you had to sign up to this forum and post about :)
    I think it is shameful the iPad did not give a message it was about to self-terminate.

On the other hand, you are one of the very..very few unlucky owners, this happens to,
    I really hope you are not chosen to have your device exchange for at least 6 times, to get a perfect one like some other unlucky users have had o_O

You will probably have to wait a bit, but receive a replacement.

6. Marzel macrumors regular

Honestly, since you have 14 days to return or exchange it there is no reason to even try and troubleshoot. Just send it back and ask for a new one.

7. Zanosuke thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the current plan. They created a recall/return-errand so I will send it back on monday but I have to wait until 23-30 nov for a new one because of supply/demand.

8. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

To me that is completely unacceptable. You shouldn’t have to be put at the end of the line in this case. They should be sending you a new one either from store stock or at the very least at the front of the line for ones that are being manufactured right now. You already waited in a line once...shouldn’t make you wait twice.

9. digitalcuriosity macrumors 6502

I agree with returning it within the 14 day return policy, and this item again tells me that by my always buying where i can first inspect and setup my iPads is a wise idea.

10. Zanosuke thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I agree. I still hope that's what gonna happen. Just talked to the return carrier and they will arrive tomorrow so that's quicker then originally planned at least..

Yeah I will prob. do that in the future if this doesn't resolve quickly enough.

11. gigapocket1 macrumors 65832

12. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Not all countries have Apple Stores, as shocking as that may sound.

13. Nozuka macrumors 68020

Wouldn't have helped him in this case though.. since it was working at first ;)

14. digitalcuriosity macrumors 6502

And even if they do have an Apple store, it might be a long way from where they live.

15. gigapocket1 macrumors 65832

I thought Sweden had some

16. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

This would probably make me the angriest guy in the world.

17. Chacocliff macrumors 6502

If it's like the iPhone X, it is volume up, then down, and hold the power button.

18. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Sweden is 450,295 km² in area and has 6 Apple stores, so may not be convenient to visit

19. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Sorry that happened to you, hopefully your replacement has no issues. Sounds like just bad luck, which shouldn't happen. I have found on mine I have to really hold the power button down longer then usual to turn on, which surprised me as it has never been that way before, but sounds like you tried all of the steps and it still doesn't work.

20. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Bummer. They have stock in stores, bring it back and they'll replace.

21. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Yeah I have to agree. If OP is near a Swedish Apple Store, take it there for immediate replacement. They keep a little bit of stock on hand for replacements even if they are out of stock for retail sale. This will be much faster than waiting weeks.

22. Zanosuke thread starter macrumors newbie

BIG UPDATE GUYS!! WTH?! I unpacked it from my return box just to try this combination and got an Apple logo! But it had almost no battery left which was strange since it have been dead like a brick since this morning. Anyhow, it accepted charge now and so far, no problems! Huge tnx for the suggestion! Wish the support guy had given me the right reboot-code so I could have skipped this stressful day!

23. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

The good old random black screen bug, been around for years now. Quite unbelievable tha Apple haven’t been able to fix it. Had it a few times with every device since the iPhone 5, even my XS Max about 2 days after I got it. Luckily the reset always fixes it.

24. Chacocliff macrumors 6502

That is the correct order for the hard reset. I'm glad it worked for you!