iPad mini So my new iPad rMini died? What the heck?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPhone7ate9, Sep 18, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

- I got this, 16gb iPad Mini with retina display on Saturday @ Best buy
    - Everthing ran smoothly and perfectly until tonight
    - Downloaded and installed iOS 8
    - Things seemed fine, I went about my business, downloaded some stuff, read somethings, played a few games, put it on the chair for a few hours
    - Came back and it was black, didn't respond to the home button, wouldn't turn on..I plugged it into itunes and nothing.

So what the heck happened?

I'm thinking I'll have to take this back to Best Buy and exchange it but what happens to all my data/private info on the device?

Edit - Just tried holding home and sleep button at the same time now I see the Apple logo. Assuming it turns back on and everything is fine, should I worry about this at all? Like is it a sign of failure or defect?

2. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Unless it happens repeatedly, I would not be concerned.

While freezes like that (which require a hard reset like you did) are pretty rare, it can happen.

3. Nee412 macrumors 6502

My non-retina iPad Mini did the same to me last year some time. Managed to get it working with a hard reset exactly the same as you. It's not happened again.

I agree with the post above. If it doesn't happen again don't worry about it.

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

It either crashed while asleep or ran out of power. Nothing to worry unless it happens again.

5. 28Gauge macrumors 6502

28Gauge

My iPad Air does the same thing from time to time. A hard restart fixes it every time.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

My Air locked up on me during the iOS 7.0.1 update and freaked me out. I had to do a hard reset but i've never had that happen again. I also bought mine from BB.